Chapter Forty: The Greatest Gift

Finally, Christmas Day arrived. Nate and I spent all of Christmas Eve preparing for the arrival of our families and getting prep work done for the meal. We had decided to exchange gifts in the evening so both of our parents could watch.
My mom was first to arrive Christmas morning and started helping me in the kitchen. She had brought pies, but there was plenty more to be done. Nate and I both grew up with large spreads of food on Christmas, so we wanted to keep the tradition.
Nate's parents arrived closer to noon with their own heap of presents and several yummy side dishes for dinner. Nate showed everyone around the house and both of our moms were happy to see so many decorations put up.
My mom returned to the kitchen to help me while Nate played cards at the table with his parents. My mom and I struck up conversation while we peeled potatoes over the sink. The sound of the oven vent and the running water allowed us to speak without the others hearing us.

"This really is a nice home you two have made for yourselves. I was skeptical at first, but things really seem to be going well."

"You have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that. It's so reassuring to know I'm not the only one who sees how wonderful this is."

"He adores you and really seems to take good care of you. I can't imagine a better fit for you."

I smiled, "He truly is wonderful, mom. I love him, and I know he loves me too."

"I can see that, it's so evident just with how you two interact and the way you look at each other."

"I feel comfortable with him, you know? The kind of comfortable that only comes with true love. I never feel the need to hide anything about myself, including my flaws. He accepts me."

My mom hugs me and we continue to get dinner ready. A couple of hours later, we have all of the food hot and ready on the kitchen island for everyone. We all fill our plates and sit at the dining room table. Nate says a quick prayer over our food and we dig in.
The table is full of small talk and laughter throughout the meal. We all shared stories from past Christmas traditions and we talked a bit about how work was going for Nate and I and how living together was working for us.
Nate and his parents cleared the dishes and put the food away since my mom and I had cooked. We settled on the couch by the fire and I examined our massive amounts of presents under the tree. Both of our parents went crazy at Christmas when it came to gifts, and we had purchased a sizable amount of gifts for each other, too.
Nate brought in mugs of hot chocolate as we sat by the fire and watched a Christmas movie together. Our family seemed to blend well, and we were definitely at peace over the nervousness we had felt about them meeting. When the movie ended, it was time for gifts. I was super excited to give Nate everything I had carefully purchased and wrapped for him.
We decided to start with our gifts from our parents. His parents bought me a lovely pair of earrings and a couple of sweaters. My mom bought me fancy bubble bath and some new cookware. Nate got some video games and some jeans from his parents and a few books and movies from my mom. Both of us expressed our gratitude and sat down with our gifts to each other.
Our parents seemed to be very interested in everything we opened. I started off with several new shirts and pants and blushed when I opened a few new bras as well.

Nate winked, "I like knowing that I can buy that stuff for you."

He thought he was so funny embarrassing me like that, until he opened his first gift from me. It was several pairs of boxers and some sensual massage oil. He tried to stuff them back in the box before our parents could see, but I pulled them out and held them up to display them.

"See? Don't plan embarrassing gifts if you can't handle it in return."

I laughed and Nate leaned in to kiss me. The next few gifts were pretty standard. I got him a watch, some new shoes, and a new set of headphones. He got me some slippers, a certificate for a massage, and a new tablet for writing in my spare time.

I was most excited about my last gift to him. He opened it slowly and the room was silent as he looked at it. I had ordered an engraved frame with a picture of us sitting together, laughing. My friend had taken the picture and it just seemed like the perfect gift.

He read the frame out loud, "To a lifetime of laughing so hard we can't breathe. Love always, Chloe."

Nate set the frame down and hugged me tightly. He gently kissed my cheek and then held my hands in his.

"My last gift isn't something I could creatively come up with to order and I'm not sure my words are even as good as what you engraved, but here it goes...
Chloe, I made the mistake of not pursuing you all those years ago, and I thank God every day that I was given a chance to make it right and to be with you. In just a short few months, you have become the most important person in my life. You are my everything and I love you so much I can't even begin to put it into words."

He reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a small, velvet box. I gasp as he opens the box to reveal an absolutely gorgeous diamond ring.

"Chloe, I don't want to waste another minute without knowing we'll be together for the rest of our lives. Will you marry me?"

With tears in my eyes I nod quickly, "Yes! Yes of course I'll marry you!"

Nate slides the ring on my finger and kisses me several times. Our parents begin clapping and I look up to see both of our moms crying. We all hug and relish in the amazing moment. I can't stop smiling and looking at my beautiful ring. I'm going to marry him. All of my dreams are about to come true. I can't imagine a greater Christmas gift or a greater man to share forever with.

End of book one.
Thank you so much to all of the readers who have made this story such a success. Keep an eye out for book two which I will be starting shortly!