TWENTY NINE

Dear Astrid,

Dear Astrid,

I'm sorry for how blunt I'm about to be but- we can't be together. Ever. You're a very cool girl and I loved getting to know you these past couple weeks but all I see you as is a good friend, nothing more. We just wouldn't be right for each other and we'd never work, for obvious reasons and reasons I can't just tell you. You see, my heart belongs to the city and it can never belong to you, no matter how much you may want it to. I've been trying to tell you this for a while now but I just didn't know how without feeling bad, so I wrote this letter. I hope you're not too angry and we can still be friends. Again, I'm sorry.

Love (as a friend),
Spider-man

Peter was a wreck.

He worked so hard on that letter, trying to put in all the right words and ignore all of Ned's protests and edits and yet it was nowhere to be found.

He lost the damn letter.

He practically tore his room apart looking for the damn thing yet school had come around and he still didn't have it.

"I knew I shouldn't have written the damn thing!" Peter complained as he now tore his locker apart.

Ned watched him, picking up some things that fell too far, "You're just overreacting man."

"Overreacting? I told Astrid I wanted nothing to do with her in that letter!"

"No," Ned smiled, "I wrote for Spider-man that he's just not too into her- you think she saw that movie? Maybe she'd get it better if she did. Or maybe I should put a side note to watch the movie- damn did I really say it at all or- sorry."

Peter only stared at Ned, making him clear his throat nervously realizing he was ranting.

"Well, why'd you take the letter with you to the party anyway?"

"My plan was to slip Astrid the note before Spider-man had to go attend to 'trouble' but after the whole bird fight and Mr. Stark- I took the suit off and it was nowhere to be seen!"

"And you went straight home after the fight? You didn't go to check on Mr. Delmar or... oh God. You went to Astrid's, didn't you?"

"I-I was upset. And when I'm upset she's the only one who truly knows how to make me feel better."

"I'm going to ignore that rude ass comment," Ned huffed, "And ask, what if you left it at her place?"

"No- I- I didn't. I wanted to fix it one last time before I gave it to her. After she helped me out, I knew I wanted to change it up or listen to you when you said I had to be strict. I didn't want her to hate me."

"Okay, well, if you didn't give it to her without realizing it... are you sure you didn't just forget the note at home? And you never took it with you to the party in the first place?"

"I'm sure," Peter insisted, "I swear I had it on me when I put on the suit!"

"But didn't you say the bird guy dropped you in the water? What if it fell in there?"

"I would've noticed," Peter complained.

Ned gave him a look, "Dude you were about to die. You couldn't have noticed."

"I would've noticed. That letter was important to me!"

"Then how is it missing?" Ned gave him a look, not worrying too much about it.

Meanwhile all Peter could think of was his trip to Astrid's for the first time.

There's no way Astrid could have it. Right?

Wrong.

Astrid found herself reading the note over and over again.

Ever since she found the note last night, she found it hard to let go.

Had she just been imagining their connection all along? Was there never anything between them?

She couldn't believe how off she was and she felt embarrassed to say the least.

She didn't even want to show Gwen, who she promised long ago no secrets would be held between them yet here she was holding this note from her.

It wasn't her secret though, technically, at least not one that she was proud to broadcast.

Spider-man doesn't like me- may even find me repulsive.

How embarrassing was that?

Astrid just tried to push the note and Spider-man to the back of her mind.

She focused on her classes, finding the time to actually relax when she sat at lunch with her friends.

Ned sat across from Astrid as he spoke to Michelle and Gwen, the three giggling amongst themselves when Gwen nudged Astrid.

"Check this out. Ned and I got bored in class so we made our own Mad Libs and got Michelle's morbid ass to fill it out."

"My answers are perfectly sane!" Michelle defended as Astrid got a hold of the paper.

Astrid immediately laughed seeing what was written down while Gwen smiled as she looked over to take a peak.

"You can tell who wrote what, huh?"

"If you're talking about where your handwriting looks like a computer font and Ned's..."

"I don't write too bad, okay? I've seen way worse handwriting."

Ned didn't think too much of Astrid seeing his handwriting- the thought didn't even cross his mind actually, but Astrid immediately recognized the handwriting.

No. There's no way Ned is freaking Spider-man. I would've noticed!

But that handwriting- it's definitely from the letter. I should know, I memorized the damn thing.

Astrid looked up immediately at Ned to see if he looked suspicious at all but he just continued laughing with the girls.

Either Spider-man has the exact same handwriting or Ned was Spider-man.

But that couldn't have been possible. There was no such thing as a coincidence that rare.

The two even did their t's the same way.

She considered questioning him about it but her attention was brought away from him and the letter when Harry laughed loudly from across the table.

That's when it hit her.

If Ned isn't Spider-man, that could only mean one thing...

Astrid slowly looked at Peter now who didn't even realize she was looking at him and continued to laugh with Harry, a smile on his face.

He had long forgotten of the letter after getting more reassurance from Ned, now thinking it was just at home, maybe in his dirty clothes hamper, or maybe aunt May threw it out without noticing.

All he knew was that he shouldn't be worrying about it anymore so that's exactly what he did.

If only he knew all the thoughts going through Astrid's head at the moment.

written: November 05, 2018
posted: April 02, 2019

*** still not over jordan fisher being john ambrose mcclaren. john ambrose mcclaren was favorite in the book and jordan fisher! watching him on teen beach movie, liv and maddie, grease live, rent live- that boy is the best. i know he's gonna kill it 😭❤️