FIFTY SIX

Peter didn't know how it happened

One minute he and Astrid were laughing in his bedroom as they watched a movie- with the door opened as requested by May, and the next he was getting a frantic call from Harry letting him know that Gwen had been taken.

Astrid looked at him worriedly as he raced to get his suit on.

"What's going on, Peter?"

"Yo-your dad- he... he has Gwen."

"What?!"

"I-I need to go."

"Yeah! Of course! Just- just be careful."

"I will- and I will bring her back."

He quickly kissed Astrid goodbye before jumping out the window.

It didn't take long before May came in, "Ah ha! Wait. Where's Peter?"

"My- my dad he... he has Gwen."

"Oh no. Sweetheart."

Astrid wiped away a tear when she got a text and saw that Harry told her where Captain Stacy and his men took him- to try to talk down Norman from doing anything stupid but he thought she should be there if anything.

"D-Do you mind taking me to the Brooklyn Bridge?"

May hesitated.

While she wanted to help Astrid anyway she could, she also didn't want to take her to be put in danger.

But Norman was waiting specifically for his daughter to arrive, ignoring every plead Gwen was making for her life.

"I just finished my freshman year, you know? I-I have so much ahead of me. I haven't experienced life at all you- you can't just take it all away from me."

"I can for the better of my children!" Norman finally had enough.

"How is this for the better of your children? I'm their best friend!"

"Which is why losing you would hurt the most!"

"Well, you're wrong. Losing you- that's what hurt them the most."

"Wh-what?"

"You seriously think they've been fine since they left? Cause they haven't. They've been a mess. Harry still has nightmares at night and Astrid-"

"Spends every waking moment with Parker."

"With all of us. Because if she spends one minute without anyone, she'll start thinking of you and get so sad- she loves you Norman... but if you do this... she'll never forgive you."

"Didn't you hear me, Gwen? It's not me she'll never forgive. It's-"

"Norman!" Peter called out for him out of breath as he stood across from them at the other pillar.