FIFTY SEVEN

Weeks

Weeks.

Weeks were spent searching the water for Gwen.

Whether it was her body or even the small proof that she escaped.

Captain Stacy would not stop searching.

He spent every minute of his days there, along with the volunteers also eager to find Gwen.

Helen Stacy came over one day though, surprising Astrid who sat on the side with Peter watching the older woman as she made her way towards him, Harry and Michelle.

"It's been killing her, you know," Astrid whispered, "Having to act like she's okay for the boys, Harry and I when she's the farthest from okay."

"I can't even imagine," Peter mumbled, watching as Helen attempted to calm down Captain Stacy.

"Peter. You tried your hardest."

"Not hard enough," he frowned as he turned to her, "I saved you from the elevator in Washington. Why couldn't I just-"

Astrid fought back tears seeing Peter grow teary eyed himself, pulling him into a hug and just holding him as he cried.

She continued to watch the others as Captain Stacy was now the one to cry in Helen's arms as she held him, the group just as sad about whatever she had to tell them.

"I'm sorry," Peter suddenly said, catching her by surprise.

"Wh-what?"

"I'm sorry I failed you."

"What? Peter you didn't-"

"I did. I was supposed to save her, bring her back to you. But I... I couldn't. It's all my fault."

"All your- Peter none of this is your fault."

"I didn't catch her on time!"

"Yeah? And if it weren't for my psycho father, she wouldn't have been there in the first place!"

Peter stayed silent now as Astrid looked down at her hands.

"If this is anyone's fault, it's mine."

"No, Astrid-"

"He was obsessed about getting his family back. About me and Harry returning to him. If I had just gone-"

"He was sick, Astrid. You going back wouldn't have changed anything. Or- well, you'd be the one in danger and Gwen definitely didn't want that."

"How do you know?"

"What?"

"How did you know Gwen didn't want me in danger?"

Before Peter could respond, an angry Harry came over.

"I can't believe it."

"Can't believe what?"

"Mrs. Stacy. She's just giving up."