Chapter 8: Going home

In her room, Caroline was gazing at the outside view from her window. What else she could do other than roaming in her room? She had tried to picture her family, her home but all she could muster were blurry images.

She thought Klaus had done something to her, probably using one of the witches while she was out of her senses.

Peeking through the white curtains that flew occasionally whenever wind hit them, Caroline was lost in mesmerizing the yard that had colorful flowers all around the mansion, giving full effect to the spring.

Klaus stepped in and joined her, left unnoticed by Caroline until she was startled when he touched her neck, the same spot he had bitten her.

Caroline's breath got hitched. "Oh my God! You scared me."

"I never meant to scare you, love. I was checking your neck". Klaus told her. She lightly pushed his hand away and rolled her eyes in annoyance.

She spat. "I know your blood heal instantly. So stop your act and spill why you actually came here."

"First thing, I don't act. That's why people find me ruthless. Second, I did come here to check on you."

"Why? So you can dig your teeth once again?" Caroline crossed her arms, staring at his pretty face. Klaus thought for a moment that if she became a vampire, she'd be the most fierce girl he would ever see.

Klaus didn't answer her accusation and looked away. Caroline sneaked at him by a side glance, still waiting for him to respond.

Klaus took a deep breath and said,
"Get ready. We are leaving."

"Well, this place already sucks but I will not go anywhere with YOU. What if you threw me off some valley or dry me out with your fangs." She was being legit.

Klaus chuckled. "I've no intention of doing any of those, I assure you."

Caroline drew back her gaze from him to the garden. I don't believe you, Klaus.

"How would you feel to go back to your home?"

Caroline's lips parted; forming in a shape of small 'o'. Her eyes widen at him. Did he just say ' go' and 'your home' in the same sentence?

"What did you say?" Unbelievably, Caroline asked.

"Should I take you to any ear surgeon first?" He joked.

Caroline fought hard to not even pass him a smile. She was still struggling to believe him. However, there were no odds to calculate because she would never be safe. Ever. The world of supernatural creatures would always be a horrible awakening because she could never get over it.

"I will take you to your home safely, now!" He seemed truthful.

"Why are you letting me go?"

"I kept you here because I suspected you and god, I was wrong." He admitted. "Caroline, you're innocent and beautiful and I admire it. I don't want to ruin your innocence by keeping you in a fight you don't belong. The best place for you is your home." Klaus spoke very softly and kept his eyes on her the whole time.

She was awestruck.

Her ears couldn't believe what she heard neither did her eyes or heart. Was that his good side? Caroline wondered.

"You sure are taking me home, not planning to bury me somewhere." She still wanted to ask.

Klaus laughed. "If I wanted to kill you, burying you would be my last choice."

"No, seriously, tell me. Am I really going home?"

"Yes," he assured her. "You have my word."

"Thank you." This is all she could just say.