Chapter 36: Back to you

"I'm no mood for jokes, love!" Klaus scoffed, his anger brimming.

"I'm not! I know you have no reaosn to believe me after I left you like that." Caroline said. "But it's time I stop running."

"What is this? You've started your game, haven't you? "He pointed his finger at her, all the things meanwhile how he was hurt came back in bis mind.  "Get away from my eyes before I kill you."

"So be it but not without knowing my side of the story. I only let you assume things that were nothinng but lies. It almost killed me." She said. "I did all of that to protect you."

"To protect me?" His brows went up and he burst into laughter. "That was a good one!"

"Klaus! Listen to me! Valentine—" Her words were left midway as Klaus overpowered at her by grabbing her neck. 

"Enough!" He shouted before he threw her away. Caroline grunted in pain as few bones snapped which began to heal the next moment.

She wiped the blood from the corner of her mouth as Klaus tore through the rest the door lf the room she had collapsed.

Looking up, she saw Klaus' rage pumping up. Caroline had expected his justified anger but he was out of mind, unwilling to give her a chance to talk.

"Klaus!" She pleaded with a weary voice.

His eyes had changed the color, and he pulled her up, making her face him. "Why are you doing this to me? Haven't you done enough?"

"I'm not your enemy. I never was."

"Lies."

"Are they?" She said, freeing herself from his grip. "You know I'm saying the truth for the first time."

"You're quite the actress." He said. "So I apologize if I fail to differentiate."

"Valentine is not my father. He never was."

He scoffed. "And more lies."

"You don't listen to anyone but you!" Caroline yelled at him. "Don't you get it, it's you I'm trying to protect. Now there is a chance to set everything right but it wouldn't work if you don't even try to trust me."

Klaus stared at her. "Fine. Say your piece."

Caroline was surprised at that for a second before speaking. "I already told you he is not my father. I discovered that after Valentine chased you out of New Orleans seven years ago. It was too late to seek you especially you were his target and the only chance he was sparing your family if I stayed away from you."

"How generous of you!" He mocked, rolling his eyes.

"Letting you leave with that much hate for me broke me." She was teary eyes. "And I grew up to hate Valentine even more so I left. With Davina. And hid overselves in the school living a fake identity."

"If you want me to believe your story then do tell what changed. Valentine is still unkillable and no doubt I'm his target."

"Actually, I've just learnt something." Caroline stated. "Valentine could never kill you unless he wish to die with you."

"What are you getting at?"

"Valentine is sired to you, Klaus." She explained . "So if he kills you, he'll die too and every other vampire you've sired over the thousand years, including me!"

She knew it would hit his nerve, probably get some sense and she was right. It did made Klaus to think.
She comtinued. "Esther did create an upgrade, but before she can unsire him from you, she died. So Valentine made you run out of the town. He knew that keeping any originals near him may lead any of you to his secret." She said, gazing intently at  the perplexed expression on Klaus' face.