15. Fickle

The Rasalhague twins take me to a place that is decidedly not the Hotel.

🦋

For them to still remember my preferred diet, how should I react to their seemingly long-term memory?

"Thank you," I tell them quietly, for treating me to late breakfast. This shows it. They totally heard me!

"No problem!" Horo laughs, "This is a good coincidence,"

I look at him solemnly. I wait until we have finished eating before talking; because I think they will not allow me to leave without talking.

I release a sigh and open the session. What will we be talking about?

"Do you really don't remember us?"

I lean back to put them together within my line of sight. Releasing another sigh, I wonder how to answer.

"Have you ever forgotten us?"

I blink. If I say the truth, would they ever forgive me?

"So, you have," Scopus looks down, perceiving the answer from my silence

Horo frowns and looks down too. Quietly, Horo asks, "Do you hate us, Mercury?"

I swallow before answering, "No," after thinking about what they had done since last year, when they transferred to Cristallum Academy, the answer is still the same. I am troubled, yes, but I don't hate them for it.

Horo and Scopus look up. Scopus asks me, "Then, why?"

I stay silent.

"We were..." Horo trails off as Scopus continues the sentence, "...always wondering," Horo picks up again, "If it was something we did?"

"It's not," I reply solemnly, "I got in my head about something," I pause briefly before continuing, "You two were innocent. It was all my fault,"

Since I am saying it now, I will say it all together, "I am sorry," I bow my head to them, as deeply as I am able to do while sitting down.

I never did figure out how I would apologise. I never did think a chance like this would emerge either.

"Why?"

This question always invites a lot of answers.

Releasing another sigh, I tell them. Through my parents' viewpoint, that is, "I was caught up in a delusion,"

Horo and Scopus stare at me. I maintain the solemnity. They squint at me. I crack.

"I have awakened from the delusion now!" I assure them quickly, pulling myself up to look confident, yet deflating soon enough, "I know I have done you wrong, but I was unable to think of a way to properly apologise..."

Horo and Scopus stay silent. It's up to me to say everything. Releasing another sigh, I inform them, "I understand you are unhappy with me; because I had one-sidedly cut off our relationship. I also understand that you are now protecting Venus from me. I don't blame you for that. Still..." I give them a slightly reproachful look, "Causing trouble towards other people is unacceptable, don't you agree?"

Horo and Scopus share a look with furrowed eyebrows. Horo questions me with genuine bafflement, "What does anything have to do with Venus?"

Scopus releases a tired sigh. He acknowledges my confession, "We are unhappy, yes, but it is not only because of...you leaving us behind," Scopus looks away, "As for causing trouble... That is how we are, I guess," Scopus glances at Horo, who offers a nod of support