25. Niche

I am not sad for Space Antares. I...

🦋

We are having an afternoon break when Space jogs to me with a troubled expression. I wait until he reaches me to explain why he shouts my name out loud to catch my attention instead of... A tap on the shoulder, perhaps?

"Sorry, did I bother you by doing that?" Space is truly apologetic, "The thing is, do you have your car's key with you right now? I left mine in the classroom,"

I tap my pocket lightly to confirm my car's key is with me. I give Space a nod.

"That's great," Space releases a relieved sigh, "Do you mind driving me to the Hospital now?"

I raise my eyebrows and tilt my head, "Why don't you drive the car yourself?"

Sheepishly scratching the back of his head, Space admits with an abashed smile, "I want you to be with me..."

Without checking the time, I know that we will miss the afternoon lessons by having this trip. Nevertheless, Hospital, huh? Something to do with Space's birth Father?

"Let's go," I nod and walk my way to the parking lot

"Thanks, Mercury!" Space cheers as he follows me, "I will inform the others we would miss the lessons and have them take notes for us!"

"You do that," I agree amiably

On the way to the Hospital, as I drive, sitting at the passenger seat is Space who doesn't play his smartphones after sending a message in the [Manage U] chatroom to let the other 4 knows the 2 of us has skipped classes. This is unnatural, for Space. I suppose he is somewhat affected by something. I do think it's weird that Space didn't just grab his own car's key and sets off alone.

To invite me to go with him... Does that mean Space sincerely trusts me to support him?

I offer to drop off Space at the Hospital's entrance, but he declines, wanting to enter the Hospital together. This is a Hospital in another City, needing an hour or so driving to reach. Space's birth Father and his family live quite far away, is what I think. If Space becomes Nebula Spica's legal guardian, the boy would have to transfer schools for certain.

Without checking his smartphones or asking the receptionist, Space takes me to a room on the 5th floor. The ward is busy with doctors and nurses shuffling in and out of a room. Pulling my gaze away from these busy people, I find Nebula Spica leaning on the wall across the room, out of the workers' way. He hasn't noticed us yet.

Seeing how Nebula Spica nervously turning the smartphone in his hands while eyeing the busy room with a pale face, I have a hunch.

Space stops a few feet away from Nebula Spica, watching the busy the doctors and nurses silently. I stay beside Space, leaning on the wall as I watch the activities slowing down. It takes about 10 minutes for everyone to vacate the room with Hospital's equipment. A doctor to approach Nebula Spica and asks the adolescent boy to have last words with the patient.

Last words.

Space moves then. Bypassing the doctor and the adolescent boy, Space enters the room. I wait for the dazed Nebula Spica to apprehend what he has to face and enters the room before going in. Closing the door, I take in the people inside the room.

Where is the Mother, the wife?

A hospital room that is quite luxurious, for one person alone. Did Space arrange this? From my understanding, the Spica is a normal family. Like Venus Myrtle, probably. Not struggling, but certainly not wealthy enough to afford a month's stay in this room.