one

If there's one thing I learned within the three days I've had this job, it's that working is hard and I hate it. The only upsides to working in a burger joint are free food and using work as an excuse not to do homework. I've gotten to the point where it's so boring I spend my free time eavesdropping on conversations between other people, and playing card games with my coworker, Chul.

"I'm going on my break," Chul says as he walks towards me, slowly untying his apron and draping it over the counter by the cash register. "Call me if it begins to get busy, I don't want you dealing with all those people on your own."

I smile at him. "Thank you, Chul. Have fun on your break," I say kindly as I turn around with the order that I just wrote. I place it on the rack and spin it so the guys in the kitchen know there's a new order they have to make.

Chul pats my shoulder gently and begins to leave the restaurant, his car keys already in hand. Chul is only two years older than me, and he's the first person I became friends with when I got this job. As he is older than me, he took it upon himself to be my mentor and protector, for I am also the youngest employee here.

My eyes roam around the nearly empty vicinity, and they land on a booth that has been left in a filthy state. I let out a deep sigh as I grab the cleaning supplies from behind the counter and walk towards it, an immediate frown forming on my face at the ketchup smothered all over the table.

"There was definitely a child in this booth," I mumble to myself as I plop the cleaning supplies on the booth seat and begin to gather the dishes before cleaning up the ketchup massacre. "Disgusting."

-----

Chul comes back thirty minutes later, as usual. One of the first things I learned about Chul was that he never takes his full hour break at once, he only uses half so he can use the other at some point throughout the rest of his shift.

"How much longer?" He yawns as he ties his apron back around his waist, letting his body sink into the barstool on the opposite side of the counter that I'm standing.

I spin around to look at the clock on the other side of the kitchen, my eyes squinting as they struggle to see the far distance. "Three hours," I finally respond, after my eyes so rudely adjust to the distance of the clock.

"That's too long," he mumbles, his head resting on his arms that are folded atop the counter's surface.

"Just think this way," I speak, causing him to lift his head and rest his chin on his arms. "If we begin cleaning now, we won't have to stay after close to clean."

He smiles slightly. "I like how you think, Taishi."

"So you've told me," I chuckle as I slide a rag across the counter towards him. "You're on table duty tonight, I'll take the floor."

"Jokes on you," he chuckles as he takes the rag happily. "Cleaning the floors means you're in charge of the bathrooms."

"Only the women's bathroom," I respond slyly. "I'm not allowed in the men's."

He lets out a loud sigh as a response before taking the rag and wash bucket and wandering to the other side of the building, starting at the far end so when he finishes he can just sit down.

I frown as I grab the mop and bucket before trudging into the women's washroom. Pushing open the door slowly, I let out a loud sigh of relief as I realize that it's almost spotless. I begin to hum as I mop the floor, taking my time as I know that it will only make my shift go by faster.

-----

"Alright, Mr. Clean," I laugh as I exit the washroom and walk back towards Chul. "How was it? Any treasure?"

"I found a half-eaten poutine massacre."

"Ooh," I gawk as I rest my head on my hand. "Do tell more."

"Each fry was turned into mash potatoes, and about half a bottle of ketchup was added into the mix, as well as six packets of salt and pepper," Chul explains before resting his chin on his arms again. "Any treasures for you?"

"I only found one dirty tampon this time."

"A new personal best, usually it's three."

"I think people are realizing how gross it is to leave them around," I suggest as I switch the weight from my left leg to my right leg.

"Or fewer women on their periods are coming in," he chuckles.

I shrug before stretching my arms, causing my back to crack in the process. After I yawn, I go to speak again, but I'm cut off by the sounds of the bell attached to the door ringing.

Chul and I both turn to the direction of the door to see a male with fluffy blond hair walk in and sit down at the counter. I stare at him for a moment, watching him as he runs his fingers through his soft looking hair.

"You want me to get this one?" Chul asks, his voice not much louder than a whisper, not taking his gaze away from the unfamiliar looking male on the other end of the counter.

"No," I respond quickly, taken away by the male sitting only twenty feet away from us. "I'll take this one."