twenty-eight

"I want to see Yumi," my mom says around an hour after Seokjin leaves the room. "Someone please get her."

"I can call grandma and have her bring her here," I say with a smile as I pull my phone from my pocket.

"I don't want your grandmother here, just my baby," my mom speaks as she continues to stare at the ceiling, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone in the room.

"I'll get grandma to drop Yumi off at the front doors," I say as I stand up and leave the room, the phone already ringing in my hand. 

As long as my mom is free from the special hospital, I will give her what she wants, so she will be happy.

-----

"Mommy!" Yumi says as I walk her into our mom's hospital room. Yumi runs to mom's bed and jumps up, hugging her with all the strength she has. Yumi pulls away from the hug and looks at her for a moment with confusion in her eyes. "Mommy, are you okay?"

My mom nods but looks toward me to give the child an answer.

"Mommy is sick," I lie as I walk toward the side of the bed. Yumi looks toward me and frowns. "Mommy has to go to a special hospital for a little while until she gets better."

"Will I still get to see her?" Yumi asks, her lips curving into a frown.

I nod. "Once a week, we can."

The door to the room opens and Seokjin walks in with some papers in his hand and a woman walking behind him.

"Why is my lawyer here?" My mom asks as she looks away from Yumi and directs her attention to the door.

"Mrs. Choi," the lawyer speaks. "Since you'll be leaving, we need to go over who will take care of your home and children while you're away."

"Taishi was emancipated last year," my mom speaks. My eyebrows raise in shock, for I do not remember this event. "She can take care of Yumi and the house."

"Does Taishi have a job to pay for food and essentials?" The lawyer asks.

"I do," I say as I look at the woman.

"Do you have a driver's license for transportation?"

"I do."

"A car?" She raises her eyebrows.

I nod.

"Do you have an adult who could babysit if you're unavailable to do so?" The woman's voice becomes sterner and more overpowering the more she speaks.

"My parent's can babysit," Jimin says as he walks to stand beside me.

"Who are you?" The lawyer looks Jimin up and down before raising her eyebrow.

"Her boyfriend," Jimin almost growls.

"Are your parents okay with this?"

"They are," Jimin nods.

"I guess that's everything, then," the lawyer speaks before flipping to a page on the clipboard she takes from Seokjin. "Taishi, you need to sign these to say you'll take care of your sister and the house while your mother is away."

I step away from Jimin and take the pen from the lady's hand before signing the papers on her clipboard. I hand it back with a fake smile. "There."

The woman bows in respect before leaving the room, closing the door behind her and Seokjin as they leave.

"You're sure your parents will do this?" I ask, trying not to cry.

Jimin puts his hands on my shoulders. "My parents like you, Taishi. They would do anything for you, for us."

I smile and he kisses me on the forehead, smiling as he pulls away.

"I hope it's not too much of a hassle," I pout as I wrap my arms around his torso.

He shakes his head. "Not a hassle at all," he smiles. "Now, you stay with your mom. Call me when you need to be driven home."