forty-six

Jungkook's POV

Police and all sorts of authority show up, and I can't help but get nervous, scared for the first time ever doing my job. I have done things like this before where I have to save someone, but never have I ever had to save someone I know, let alone someone I actually care about.

"Chief Jeon, sir," a female voice speaks from behind me, pulling me away from my confused and rapid thoughts. I spin to her and nod. "Everyone's here, we're ready when you are."

I nod. "Thank you."

My body stays frozen in its spot for a moment longer, for I stay there, mentally slapping myself in the face and trying to tell myself to stop being a pussy and just go do the job I've done a hundred times before.

But, I can't. I can't listen to myself. This time is much more different than any other time. Not only will a family and a boy be broken and hurt if something happens to Taishi, but I will feel the same emotions as the family if someone fucks up this rescue mission.

I take a deep breath before walking up to the crowd of policemen standing in front of another crowd. One crowd is pointing guns at the house in case something happens to us on the inside, and the other group is the men going inside with me to retrieve a criminal and a sweet and innocent girl who has been through too much shit in the time I've known her.

There is no speaking involved in this portion of the mission, for one word spoken too loudly can blow the cover of every single one of us and possibly end a life. I gesture for the armed men to follow me to the building, all of them ready to shoot if needed.

I hold up my hand to stop the crowd before flattening my hand and waving it in a few directions to send a few smaller groups from the large group to various entrances around the house. The group with me, however, follows me to the main entrance, the easiest way to get in and out of the building as fast as possible.

Once again, I hold my hand up in a fist to stop the group of men behind me. I press my ear to the door in front of me, listening as closely as possible as I can to any sounds that may be coming from the room on the other side of the thick wooden door.

Everything on the other side of the door is silent for a moment, making me think that I messed up and brought all of these people to the wrong place. I think for a moment that Taishi is being hurt somewhere else and we're here trying to rescue her from somewhere she's not.

I'm about to leave, bring all my men back to the station, tell them to go home and stay on call until we find their real location. I'm about to leave when-

"No!" Taishi's loud screams rush into my ears, her voice sounding broken, torn to pieces, hopeless.

My men stay behind me, though they all heard the scream. I hold them there, waiting for the perfect moment to burst in and destroy the party that Chul thinks he is throwing. I'm just waiting for the perfect moment.

"No one is here to save you," he is talking silently, his voice only audible to those with extraordinary hearing. Thankfully, I have exactly that.

I stand to the side, pushing myself against the wall, and gesture to my men to break in and arrest the man who kidnapped Taishi.

The door is kicked open with a loud thud, and my men rush into the building from all directions, swarming into the room to arrest Chul and anyone else who may have been involved in the kidnapping of Choi Taishi.

After a few moments, when I know that Chul is in handcuffs, I walk into the room and my eyes are pulled to a sight that makes my heart sink into my chest. Taishi, her cheeks stained pink with tears, her ankles and wrists red from the rope holding her down to the bed.