twenty-three

"So tell me, Jimin, how did this happen from your perspective?" Mrs. Kim, the principal, asks as she rubs her temple, the three suspects of the incident standing in a line in front of her desk.

Jimin steps a little closer to me awkwardly before clearing his throat. "I was sitting at my desk waiting for Taishi to arrive, and Alice came and sat beside me," Jimin begins. "I told Alice that Taishi and Chaeyoung sit in the seats beside me, but she didn't listen."

"And then?" Mrs. Kim eggs him on, fishing for information.

"Alice began to touch me while asking me to take her on a date, and to leave Taishi," Jimin chokes. "Then she told me random things that Taishi did to get in trouble as if she knows fuck all about her-"

"Mr. Park, I need you to tell me what happened when Taishi showed up."

Jimin nods. "Taishi approached us and told Alice to get her hands off of me, but Alice told her the grown-ups were talking and to go away. This made Taishi angry and Taishi pulled her away from me, and then Alice called her a dumb bitch and told her that I don't love her," Jimin pauses and turns to me with puppy dog eyes. "But, I do love her. I love her more than anything."

"I've heard enough," the principal speaks as she begins to write something down in the notebook sitting in front of her. "Taishi, you're suspended for the rest of the week for acting out and trying to hurt Alice. You may come back on Monday."

Alice chuckles and bumps my shoulder as she goes to leave the room.

"Alice," the principal says, causing her to stop in her tracks. "You'll be suspended for two weeks, and may come back on good behaviour."

"What the fuck?" Alice belts. "Why?"

"You sexually harassed Mr. Park, and you didn't stop when his own girlfriend asked you to stop," Mrs. Kim says, not looking up from her notebook as she scribbles something down. She looks back up and turns to Alice with a serious expression. "You're lucky he isn't pressing charges."

Alice scoffs before stomping out of the room, leaving me and Jimin alone with the principal. Jimin looks at me softly before turning to the principal.

"Jimin, you're free to go," the principal says before turning to me. "Taishi, you must stay here until a parent comes to pick you up."

I shudder at the mention of my parents and I feel tears form in my eyes. I shuffle to the side and hide my body behind Jimin. He wraps his arm around me and pulls me into his chest.

"Uh, Taishi is currently living with my family," Jimin says softly as he rubs my back with his hand. "I can't give you details, I'm sorry."

There is an awkward silence in the room but, after a little bit, Mrs. Kim sighs. "I'll call your mother, Jimin, and I'll ask her to pick up Taishi," she says, closing her notebook. "You must continue with your day while Taishi stays here."

"I actually have a spare period after lunch," Jimin says. "Is it okay if I stay with Taishi?"

Mrs. Kim is silent again. "I have lunch duty," she says as she opens the door. "You guys can stay in here."

With those final words, she leaves her office, closing the door behind her and leaving us alone with no supervision. Jimin sits me down on the couch and sits beside me before allowing me to rest my head on his shoulder.

"Now for plan b," Jimin mumbles as he pulls his phone out of his pocket and begins texting someone.

I stare at him for a moment, completely confused as to what his plan b is. I turn my head toward his phone and squint my eyes to see better. "Who are you texting?"

Jimin's thumbs stop moving for a moment and he sighs. "I-" he pauses before turning to me. "I need you to trust me."

I sit up in my chair and pull my head away from his shoulder. "I do trust you," I say reassuringly. "What's going on?"

He shifts to the side so his whole body is facing mine. "Please don't ask questions," he says softly, looking into my eyes. "Just trust me."

I look at him for a little longer, my eyes scanning over his face to see if he's being completely serious or not. When I realize he's being completely serious, I nod.

"I'll be right back, okay?" Jimin says in a soft tone before kissing my forehead and standing up. He smiles at me before he leaves the room and disappears around the corner, leaving me alone in the principal's office.