four

Not long after Chul and I finish with doing the jobs that aren't ours, we both sit at the counter and wait for customers as we usually do. There's no point in standing up and waiting when there are perfectly good barstools at our disposal.

"Why do we open so early, if people don't show up this early?" Chul complains as he rests his head on his hand, his eyes rolling slightly into the back of his head.

I shrug. "I don't know, but at least we get money," I sigh before grabbing the notepad in my apron pocket, beginning to draw on the back of it. "The earlier we open, the longer we work. That means more money."

He shrugs. "Money is the only upside."

I nod. "Agreed."

We it in the silence for a few moments before there is any sound within the vicinity. The silence is broken by the loud ringing of the bell above the door echoing throughout the mostly empty building.

The both of us turn to look at the door, and I quickly notice that the person who has walked in is, in fact, someone I used to be very close with. I gasp before he notices me, and I run into the kitchen, hiding from his view.

"Taishi?" Chul asks as he quickly follows me into the back, confusion washed over his smooth skin. "What is it?"

"The boy that just walked in," I whisper, trying not to make my voice heard from the front. "He and I used to be very close."

"Ex-boyfriend?"

"Best friend," I respond, peering out into the open space to see him now sitting at the counter waiting for someone to serve him. "He became obsessed with me."

"I'll handle this one," he nods quickly before stepping back into the open space, his notepad in hand, a fake smile on his face. I tune out the sounds of their conversation and I lay low in the back until he leaves, not wanting to have to speak to him at all.

The last thing I want to do it speak to him, to even have to be near him after what he put me through. I would rather die than do any of those things.

----

It's been an hour now since the boy I once knew and trusted was in the building, and I'm happy that he ordered his food to go, for it was unbearable to be even in the same building as him.

"Who even was that?" Chul asks as he comes up to me as I'm doodling on an old napkin.

"I don't want to talk about it right now," I mumble as I continue to doodle on the napkin, not moving my gaze away from the pen struggling to run across the rigid surface. "Maybe another time."

Chul nods, not pushing me to give him an answer, and I silently thank him for doing so, appreciating him for not pushing. He turns and walks to the other side of the counter, sitting in front of me as he watches me doodle on the napkin, not breaking the silence that was created.

"So..." he begins, his voice unsure of whether he should speak or not. "You want pastries or something? I can run across the street."

"Is this bribery to get me to tell you about the boy?" I ask, my pen halting at his suggestion.

He freezes. "No! I swear I would never!"

I chuckle. "I was kidding, Chul," I smile, beginning to draw again. "Pastries would be amazing right now."

He nods before standing up. He quickly grabs his wallet from the back and leaves, not wanting me to be alone for too long, just in case customers show up and everything gets out of my control.

I walk to the other side of the counter and sit down on a barstool, my head coming into contact with the countertop, my arms hiding my face. I let out a loud sigh and close my eyes, not wanting to think about him, but he's now the only thought I have.

"Are you okay?" I hear a voice ask, causing me to jump slightly at their abrupt arrival, wishing they had announced they were here.

"I'm fine," I say softly before lifting my head. My eyes come to meet my face, rubbing my eyes slightly before I open them. I expect to come face to face with some concerned mother or something, but that's not even close to what I see.

Instead of seeing what I expected, I come face to face with the most beautiful being I have ever seen. The plump and soft lips, asymmetrical brown puppy dog eyes, fluffy blond hair... it's him. The only person I've been able to think about for the past day.

Milkshake boy.