nine

Jimin continues to hold me, hot tears streaming down my now pink and stained cheeks. He runs his fingers through my hair gently, assuring me with his soft touch that everything will be okay.

"Could she be hiding?" Jimin mumbles, breaking the silence of the room. "Like, playing hide and seek?"

I sit up, pulling away from him. A confused look washes over my face. "Why would she play hide and seek if no one is home with her?"

Jimin shrugs. "Maybe she's with your stepfather?"

I suck in a deep breath and pull my phone from my pocket. I click on the contact for my stepfather and put the phone on speaker before waiting for the dial tone.

"What?" My stepfather, Junsu, asks. His voice is harsh and angry sounding.

"Where's Yumi?" I ask, turning my cracking voice into a harsh one.

Junsu chuckles into the phone. "You're an idiot, aren't you?"

I'm taken by surprise at the man's harsh words, his harsh tone causing my heart so sink as he speaks to me as if my sister doesn't exist.

"Next door, you dumbass," Junsu's voice booms through the phone after a long silence, nearly causing Jimin and me to jump. "I sent her to the neighbours because I had to leave and you weren't home yet."

I squint. "Which neighbours?"

"The ones that we don't hate," Junsu speaks again, his voice sounding distant from the phone. "The ones we actually trust."

I sigh and hold my hand over my heart, trying to calmly catch my breath before speaking into the phone. "Thank you," I say quickly, my thumb fast to end the call, not saying goodbye to him.

"He sounds rude," Jimin states the moment the call disconnects. I turn to face him to see that his arms are crossed across his chest, his eyes fiery with anger. "Who treats someone like that?"

I frown before standing up, rubbing my arm awkwardly as I try to avoid eye contact. "It's fine," I mumble, avoiding him. My voice lowers and I begin to walk out of the room, Jimin's eyes fixed to mine. "He's fine."

I feel his hand on my wrist and he spins me around so I'm facing him, his eyes coming in contact with mine.

"What did he do to you?" He asks, his voice low and angered. He moves closer, his body nearly pressing against mine. "Did he hurt you?"

I look down, my eyes focusing on the floor. "He does," I say, my voice nothing more than a whisper.

His fingers find their way under my chin and he lifts my head so my eyes meet his. "What did he do to you?"

I feel tears begin to form in my eyes. My breath catches in my throat and I bite my lip, holding back my sobs. "He hits me," I say with a croak, my voice broken.

"When?" Jimin grunts.

I shrug. "Whenever he's angry," I explain, my eyes averting themselves from Jimin's harsh gaze. "I'm not his kid, he has no reason to love me. It doesn't hurt him to hurt me."

Jimin wraps his arms around me, holding me in his strong embrace. He softens his voice as he speaks into my ear. "If he hurts you one more time," he says, his voice soft and kind but still rough and protective. I feel him tighten his grip around me slightly, squishing me against his body in a protective manner. "I'll kick his ass."