twenty-six

"Day one of suspension," Jimin says as he rolls over in the bed so he's facing me. "What do you want to do today?"

"I'd like for you to brush your teeth," I giggle as I plug my nose, pretending his breath smells way worse than it actually does. "And then maybe we can do something."

Jimin groans before climbing out of bed and walking to the bathroom. He emerges from the door a few moments later with a toothbrush in his mouth and an annoyed expression on his face.

I go to say something to him, but my thoughts are cut off by the sound of my phone ringing. I groan as I roll over and grab my phone, looking at the unknown number displayed across my screen.

"Hello?" I ask, pretending to sound happy and awake, though I'm the exact opposite.

"Is this Choi Taishi?" The unfamiliar voice asks.

"This is she," I respond. "May I ask who's calling?"

"This is Dr. Kim Seokjin from the hospital here in Seoul," he says in a polite and calming tone. "We have your mother, Choi Hyerin, here in the emergency room. She was rushed in by ambulance earlier today. You're the emergency contact in her phone, so we thought we would call."

My heart sinks in my chest as his words ring through my head. "What happened?" I choke out the words.

"This is not information I wish to disclose over the phone," Seokjin speaks. "Please come to the hospital as soon as you can."

He hangs up the phone and I jump out of bed, throwing on one of Jimin's hoodies and a pair of sweatpants before running into the bathroom with Jimin.

"Got ants in your pants?" Jimin chuckles as he spits his toothpaste into the sink.

"Throw on some clothes, we have to go to the hospital," I say as I begin to quickly brush my teeth.

Jimin looks at me for a moment, but he doesn't question me. He turns into his room and throws on a hoodie and some sweats before slipping on some shoes. I spit my toothpaste into the sink and grab my purse before running down the stairs after Jimin, rushing to get to the hospital as soon and as fast as possible.

-----

As I push through the doors to the hospital, I run up to the front desk and wait for Jimin to show up behind me before I speak to the lady at the desk.

"Where can I find Dr. Kim Seokjin?" I pant as I stare at her with determination.

The lady stares at me for a moment before picking up the phone on her desk. The ceiling speakers chime in my ears before her voice rings through it.

"Could Dr. Kim Seokjin please report to the front desk?" Her voice is calm and collected. She puts down the phone and gestures toward the sitting area behind us.

Jimin nods at the lady before wrapping his arm around me and leading me to a spot where the both of us can sit.

"I don't have time for sitting, Jimin," I say as he pulls me into the spot beside him. "I need to get to my mom."

"You're stressed," he says, holding me protectively as we wait for the doctor to show up. "Just sit for a few minutes while we wait."

It takes a moment, but I allow myself to sink into the seat next to him, trying to stay as calm as I can. I take a deep breath and rest my head on Jimin's shoulder.

"Taishi?" A voice asks as a man in a long white coat walks into the room. I jump up from where I'm sitting and pull Jimin's arm so he is standing beside me. "Please, follow me. Your mother's room is this way."