oo39.

"How's Amb holding up?" Nyla asked Jamie as they sat for lunch.

It didn't take them no time in getting close with each other when they first met. It's like they instantly bonded so Nyla knew she would be the perfect person to work in the boutique. She was an amazing worker and mother to Josiah.

"I mean she's good but I know my girl and I know she's not good at all. They didn't end on the best terms of their friendship. I mean she went to the funeral but I didn't."

The whole buildup to Kal's funeral was hell for Amber. She tried to be superwoman and hid her emotions most of the time but Jamie knew her well enough to know shit wasn't okay. Neither her nor Kal got the chance to fix their friendship which was one of the sole reasons he came back.

"Right. It's gonna be hard for her though, Jay. Just continue to be there for her and let her know you and Josiah there for her. I had to do the same shit with Tatum whenever his past would get to him."

"I know and I do. She tries to smile and bond with Jojo like everything okay but I know it's not."

"Just get her to talk to you if she wants to. Don't pressure her into it though because that's only going to push her away." Nyla coached her friend.

"I'll try. That girl is a tough ass cookie to crack."

Nyla's hand soon latched on to her stomach once she felt Kinlei kicking like crazy. She only did that whenever Tatum was around. She was gonna be a damn daddy's girl and Nyla was kind of saddened by that.

"This little girl." She laughed as her hands rubbed her belly in a circular motion.

"Can I touch?" Jamie shyly asked.

"Girl you family don't be shy. I don't mind." Nyla teased.

Jamie stood up and took a seat closer to Nyla and rubbed the baby who kicked her hand.

"Girl she gon have her damn daddy attitude like hell."

"She what?" Tatum said behind his girl as he moved to their table.

He had decided on eating soul food today and the girls happened to be at the best soul food joint in town.

"What you following me now?" Nyla teased as she stood up in her periwinkle tube dress that showcased her bump and booty.

Jamie smiled once she seen the couple who was still in the cupcake phase kiss all over each other while his hand held on to her growing baby bump.

"James!" He said, calling her by a dumb ass nickname the shop gave her.

She knew he meant love so she smiled as she greeted him back.

"Shouldn't y'all be working?" He teased as he took a seat by Nyla.

"Shouldn't you?" She shot back.

"It's lunch hour baby." He smiled in her direction.

"There's your answer then crazy." She giggled.

"How Am doing? I had gave her the week off so she could get herself together."

"She's ok. Not fully ready to talk about shit yet."

"Thats understandable. She just lost a best friend she been rocking wit for a minute. It don't help that they didn't get the chance to talk shit out."

Jamie nodded her understandably.

"Alright lemme head back to the shop. I'll see y'all. Love you baby girl." He said.

"I love you more." Nyla blushed.

"I was talking to my princess in the oven but I fuck with you too." He teased and started laughing.

"Fuck outta here Tay." Nyla pouted.

"Aw I'm sorry beautiful. I love you." He cooed playfully as he leaned down and nibbled on her cheeks before kissing her lips.

"Y'all too cute." Jamie laughed.

"I love you too." Nyla said with a blushing face.

———

"How you been with everything?" Jamie asked Amber as they watched TV together.

She had decided to take Nyla's advice and see if Amber was okay. She didn't want to pressure her into talking but she wanted her to know she was there.

"I'm good." Amber gave her famous line.

"Look I know you're not good baby. I just want you to talk to me. I'm here for you."

Amber sighed and turned off the TV facing her girlfriend. She did realize that her emotions was getting to her family but she felt they understood why she was hurt and filled with pain. Her best friend for almost seven years was dead and they didn't end on the best terms.

"I just wanna know that you're fine." Jamie said.

"I'm sorry baby. I know I ain't been doing my shit as a girlfriend and mom but you gotta understand that that nigga meant more to me than a lot of shit. He took me under his wing when I first got to the shop." She felt her eyes watering but she didn't want to cry. Amber was right. She wasn't herself these days.

"Shh." Jamie said and pulled Amber to her chest.

Seconds later, Josiah came into the living room rubbing his eyes together as he looked for one of his moms. He saw them embracing and ran into their lap. He stopped smiling once he saw his second mom was in tears.

"You okay mommy? I love you. It'll be ok." He said as his small hand caressed her cheek.

"Aw thank you papa. I love you too." She said back.

"I love you." Amber mouthed to Jamie.

Yeah Kal's death hit her harder than the rest but she had a family now who needed her. Besides she knew that Kal wouldn't want her to be sad over his death caused by his problems. He knew where her heart was and hoped she forgave him from the past.