Unpredictable ~ Chapter 24.

-Y/N's POV-
We eventually returned to the meeting point and all the other squads were there apart from the squad that was sent to eliminate Crowley Eusford.

As soon as Mito lay eyes on me she sprinted over to me and immediately engulfed me in a large hug, "My God, Y/N. I was so worried! Are you ok? What happened?"

"I'm fine, Mito. I just ran into a bit of trouble."

Shinya walked towards us, "Yeah, if you consider encountering the 7th and 13th progenitor 'a bit of trouble' then you're right." He scoffed, and I rolled my eyes as Mito gasped loudly and exclaimed, "Y/N-!"

"Alright, I'll be giving the briefing on how the war has been progressing." Guren announced, pacing around the area, as the small crowd quieted down,

"I had set multiple squads on missions intended to assassinate noble vampires, all of which that have so far been successful. All that's left is 3 noble vampires: Seventeenth Progenitors Chess Bell and Horn Skuld and Thirteenth Progenitor Crowley Eusford. I have sent 9 squads to annihilate them but we are yet to hear from them and their progress."

"Well then, what do we do in the meantime?" Norito queried,

"We wait. I said I'd give them 24 hours considering the ranks of the vampires, they have 1 hour remaining if they don't return in that time then we will have to go ourselves." Guren answered, "That's all."

I nodded as everyone dispersed into their groups to converse.

"Alright, I've got to go for a while but I'll be back before an hour." Guren turned to leave,

"Where are you going?" Shinya raised an eyebrow,

"Your dear brother wanted to see me." Guren deadpanned walking away,

"Don't think I've forgot." I heard in my ear, causing me to jump I turned to find Shinya hunched next to me smirking,

"Don't." I said but he didn't respond, and instead frowned,

"I'm sorry, Shinya. What do you want?" I half begged,

"I don't want anything, Y/N."

Mito sighed, "It's likely the squads that were sent have been wiped out."

"That's true, it's inevitable we'll have to go, I'm calling it now." I replied,

"That's awfully pessimistic, Y/N." Goshi piped up,

"War itself is pessimistic, what optimistic thoughts could you possibly have?" I sadly smiled at Goshi.

~•~

-Guren's POV-
I strolled in to what appeared to be an old arena; in the center was a large scythe with 3 chains wrapped around them which held 3 vampires around the neck, who appeared to be close to death with shackles around their wrists.

At the sight of me their eyes lit up and I almost felt bad at the little bit of hope and excitement they expressed.

"Blood." I heard one of them mutter before it ran towards me, I stopped walking as it was forced to stop by the chain wrapped around it's neck being extended to it's full length.

I turned to Kureto who I knew was sitting on one of the tall walls, "You're sick." I chuckled,

"I know." Kureto smirked,

"Are they test subjects?" I questioned,

"Yes, but they're utterly useless now. Kill them."

"Is that an order?"