Unpredictable ~ Chapter 38.

-Y/N's POV-
Running on little to no sleep for 2 months had taken a toll on me, so I had to wear makeup to make me look somewhat alive.

Luckily, I didn't have to do it myself so I caught up on sleep while my mum's makeup artists prodded my face with makeup brushes and sponges.

As for what I was wearing, I had a black lace dress which came down to my knees with long-sleeved, batwing sleeves paired with heeled booties which reached to just above my ankles.

I felt someone tap my shoulder and opened my eyes,

"Miss L/N, we've finished." The makeup artists told me,

I smiled at her, "Oh, thank you."

She nodded before walking away, leaving me by myself.

I yawned before standing up to meet my mother who was just walking in.

"Ah, Y/N. It's time for you to greet the guests."

"Ah, I see." I simply replied,

I really did not want to see anyone today, I just felt gloomy; in addition everyone else's excitement also made me feel lonely as it felt like I was the only one suffering.

I left the back room and walked into the grand hall. It was laid out so that the table my father, Kureto's father, Kureto and I were sitting at was at the front facing everyone; while everyone else had regular circular tables, littered across the hall.

I tried my best to force a smile as I approached my seat, although I couldn't guarantee that it looked genuine in the eyes of others.

I took my seat between my father and Kureto, luckily managing to avoid eye contact with the other spectators.

My eyes immediately searched for my friends and I luckily found them all, excluding Guren, on the same table close to ours. I met eyes with Mito and couldn't help the smile that took over my features.

It was comforting having my friends near me after this long period of being separate.

Amidst all the relief, I couldn't help but feel guilty for also being slightly relieved that Guren didn't attend; I couldn't imagine how he'd be feeling right now and I definitely didn't want him seeing me like this.

"Stop making that face towards your silly friends." My father growled in my ear, in such a way that only I was aware,

I was in a bad mood so the lengths I was willing to go to had increased, "What face father, isn't it polite to smile to all our guests?"

I heard a low chuckle from beside me, I still didn't turn to face him nor had he turned to face me, "Do you think you can get away with getting smart to me just because we have guests?"

I turned to him and fake smiled, "Of course not, father."

My mother coughed loudly to get everyone's attention, and surprisingly with the sheer number of guests and the size of the banquet hall, the room fell silent immediately.

"Thank you all for coming to join us with the celebration of the engagement of Kureto Hiragi and Y/N L/N." She beamed as the room broke out into applause,

She continued when the clapping died down, "I'll be your host for today's celebratory dinner; who will ensure that everything shall run smoothly today."

"In a moment you will all be given the opportunity to give your gifts to the bride and groom-to-be, once directed by one of our ushers. After that you shall be approached by a waiter or a waitress who shall take your orders. Please feel free to request starters as you wait for the main course, however other than that do enjoy your evening." She bowed lightly before walking off as the room broke out into applause again,