SEVEN

"Princess, all packed and ready to go?"

I heard Daddy call outside my room as I zipped my suitcase shut. "Yeah, I just need to put my boots on."

As I put on my snow boots, I thought about things going through my mind. First, I never thought me and my family would be going to see Grandma Birdie at Big Bear for Thanksgiving because she wanted to cook and see us. It's been a while since I've seen Grandma Birdie, she's a wild lady with a heart of a daredevil. She can do anything that seems risky for her age. Not saying she's old-old, but people age, and she isn't getting any younger. Sometimes I would be getting postcards from places where dangerous things can happen, skydiving, ATV at the dunes, swimming with sharks, going on a safari journey, anything the whole world can provide that my grandma can do. But I love her braveness if only I can get some of that.

Secondly, I'm glad we are having Thanksgiving dinner at her house; otherwise, that lie I told Athena the other day would be just a stupid excuse to avoid Liam.

Fuck!

Why did I think of him so suddenly?

I was supposed to keep him off my mind forever. And school wasn't helpful. Every time I'm with Effie, he would be there next to his brother and then leave without saying a word. My very existence is like a disease. Every day at school we would meet unexpectedly and pass by like strangers. It hurt, and my heart ached, but I had to be strong and never let myself cry over a guy who isn't right to himself. I don't know what is happening, but I'm tired.

"Leelee, ready to go?" Daddy stood at the doorway wearing his biker leather jacket and beanie. "Are you done with your stuff?"

"Yeah, you can put it in the car. Is Dad done with packing?" I asked once I was done with the second boot.

"Your Dad isn't finished packing, as far as I know," he grunts. "Even if it's only three days and two nights at grandma's, he's packing as if we are leaving the country."

I chuckled.

I could imagine Dad messing up their room full of his closes and unsure what to bring. It's always like that with family trips, Dad had brought four suitcases, and Daddy suggested minimizing two carryons for the journey.

"Can you check on him, please," Daddy said, taking my suitcases. "I'll put yours in the car. We have to be at Grandma's before traffic hits."

"Okay," I said like a child and headed to my dads' room. There was a peek at the door as I made my way inside and gasped loudly. "God, damn."

Lily, language," Dad said as I watch him go back and forth from their walk-in closet carrying a load of clothes in his arms throwing them on the bed with the rest of his clothes in piles.

"Dad, you not ready yet?" I looked around and saw the room a mess as if a tornado had hit only my parents' room. "We have to hit the freeway before traffic."

"I know," he breathed and stopped. "I don't know what to bring. There is so much to choose from."

"Hurry up, Daddy is getting agitated and wanted to leave early."

"Daddy would have to wait. This is a fashion crisis," He whined. "There is so much to choose from, and he wanted to bring at least two suitcases."

I felt a vibration inside my jacket pocket, dug for my phone, and saw Effie's text.

Effie: Have you left yet?

I typed my fingers and texted her back.

Me: No, not yet. Dad is having a fashion crisis and can't pick out the clothes to bring.