TWELVE

Thanksgiving is over, and it's the third week of December were the craziest holiday starts because Christmas is almost here, and three weeks ago, I had a date at the mall, Christmas shopping with Grant.

My heart shattered once more since I let Liam go, but it was for the best. Back from the break and back to school could have been more comfortable. As I hang out with Effie and Logan, Liam is there with his arms wrapped around another girl. I am urged to run, but I stand my ground and act like it is nothing. Seeing him with another girl broke my heart, but I had to erase my bad and sometimes good times with him.

I hugged my books against my chest while watching Effie talk about her shopping fiasco. Her grandfather gave her a black card to go out and shop; Effie first objected because she didn't want to use his money. She was not judging but wanted to use what she had earned. Odin pressured her and used whatever she wanted to buy, so she gave in and went shopping last weekend and bought everyone gifts. Effie had placed a piece of paper for each brother and had them write down three things they wanted for Christmas.

That was too much for her to get, but with Effie's personality, she would buy them all.

"So, How was your date with Grant?" Effie asked while leaning against Logan, who had his arms around her waist, listening to our conversation. I don't mind, but talking about another boy who is not his brother feels nerve-wracking.

I saw Liam stiffen behind his brother and knew he, too, was listening. So, I exaggerated. "Great! Such a gentleman and sweet as usual. He helped me out with shopping."

"Ah huh," Effie picked her teeth with her tongue, looking at me.

Since I broke myself obsessing with Liam and hoping he would change his mind about us, I decided to date Grant. He's interning here in Los Angeles and always has time for me when he's busy most of the time. But Grant is different; he's not a player but polite. When we ate at the food court, two women his age came up to him and asked him if he was single. Dating me makes him like an older brother with his kid sister. I was dressed in overalls and sneakers and had my hair braided into two.

I wanted to hide during that time, but Grant politely rejected them and said he was on a date with his girlfriend.

I was shocked. More than that, I didn't expect him to say that. Of course, I'm dating him but saying that we are boyfriend and girlfriend surprised me more than amazed the two ladies.

I watched them glare at me before walking away.

"Lily, I'm happy for you," Effie said, squeezing my hand. "I am."

I could tell by her tone she was, but at the same time, she wanted to think twice about me dating Grant.

She's not saying it like it's lousy for me to move on from Liam and if I made the right choice. I'm just tired of waiting to be honest, and if he does not want me, that is fine. I have other men I can be with. Liam isn't the only one.

I hope Liam was the only one.

He blew that shit up in my face like dirt.

"I don't do commitments."

Those words have been ringing in my head. I want to pull out my hair. Worst, shave my hair.

"Thanks, Effie. I just," I acted like a girl in love with a boy she had always dreamed of, then sighed. "I'm so excited for Christmas this year."

"Oh, where are you going? Going to revisit Birdie? Please take me with you. I love her and the snow." I could see the sparkle in her eyes, and I hated to see it go away once I told her about where I was going with Grant. It will surprise her more than when I told my parents about it.