TWENTY-ONE

"Lily! Open the door!"

I heard Effie's voice shouting from behind the front door, banging like a manic. Morning came, and I got out of the shower. I opened the door, and Effie came busting in.

"Lily, are you okay?" She was distraught, holding my shoulders. "You didn't answer my calls or texts. I ran here as fast as I could."

"You ran?" I lifted my brow and noticed the droplet of sweat on her forehead and her rough breathing.

"Yeah, I ran, fucking ran like Usain Bolt to get here," Effie exclaimed, swallowing, catching her breath, and exhaling. "Did something happen last night with Liam?"

"No," I shook my head and placed the towel around my neck, drying my hair as I sat on the couch. "Why?"

"Last night, he didn't come home until the next day," Effie gave a sly smile. "I assume you two had a good time, but when I asked him this morning, the bastard ignored me."

Liam's voice echoed in my head, asking me to get rid of our child. The child grew inside me.

Last night I wasn't in my right mind holding that kitchen knife and wanted to end things. I wasn't insane. I was more brokenhearted. I had that knife in front of my stomach, the sharp point aiming at the center. But my hands were trembling, and the thought of murdering an innocent life growing inside me wasn't who I was. I put the knife away and went to bed crying. The following day I found myself with red eyes and showered to soothe my soul, but I couldn't mend my broken heart.

"I told him," I told Effie, my tone sophisticated of acting normal.

"And?"

"He wants me to abort the baby."

"What?!"

I keep drying my hair with the towel as I hear Effie cussing her heart out.

"Are...are you sure he said that?" Effie was furious as I saw her eyes bulge.

"He even assumed that the baby isn't his and that it could have been Grant's or Mark's child," I told her while I French braid my damp hair.

"I'm going to fucking kill him!"

"It's okay, Effie," I rose and headed to the kitchen to grab a cold bottle of water and hand her one. "Drink; your face is flaring up."

Effie immediately opens the bottle, drinks about half, and sighs. "Lily, why are you so calm? Shouldn't you be angry, pissed, and about to explode that Liam said those things to you?"

I drink my water. "I'm not angry." Inside I'm in a rage, but I'm keeping an impassive face in front of my best friend before she goes back home and murders the father of my child. "I knew he wouldn't accept from the beginning, and since I confronted him about his child, I'm prepared for the circumstances."

Effie groans and wants so badly to throw a fit. I lean against the kitchen counter to watch her pace around the living room. She fists the air and throws her hands up, frustrated, until she sits on the couch and lets loose of her body like a blanket. Tired.

"Are you done?" I ask, amused.

Effie moves her eyes at me without using her body. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Do you still love Liam after the way he treated you?"

I blink.

Liam and I reconciled and became friends. Then once I told him about becoming a father to my child, his attitude changed drastically. I still couldn't figure out what was eating him to act like that. I was so close to opening his heart, yet something important like the baby made him shut me out. At some point, I wanted to hate him, loathe him, but if he didn't want our child. Then I have to go to plan B.

"You want the truth."

"Yeah," Effie nods her head.

"Ever since he told me to get rid of my baby," I place my hand over my stomach and gently caress it. "All the love that I wasted on him had already faded."

Effie sat up. "So, you're over him. Just like that. You won't be bugging him?"

"Hey, since when do I pester him?" I say in defense, but I knew she meant it as a joke.

"You know what I mean. I wasn't like that with Logan."

"He was the one who pestered you," I chuckled.

"True," Effie turn her head to me, staring. "So, you, ultimately, done with him?"

"Yes."

"Wow, so direct."

"I already had a backup plan," I say. "Once I graduate, I'll be moving with Birdie for the summer. Then after the baby is born, I'm planning to study abroad in Ireland."

"Ireland? That's a big step." Effie crossed her legs. "What about the baby?"

"The baby with stay with Birdie while I'm in college, and by the time I graduate earning my bachelor's, I can go back, bring my child with me and probably move somewhere else."

"You know, I never ask what you wanted to do in your life?"

Effie question hits me. What did I want to do? What's my career goal? I always love making home videos using my phone to take pictures and videos. I could be one of those event photographers for weddings or birthdays. I only have a little experience using those expensive cameras, but I can enroll in the classes once I start college.

"I always enjoy making home videos," I said, looking down at my open-toe flip-flops. "Every time my family goes on vacation, I use all the possible pictures and videos to create the movie and then show it to my parents."

"Sounds like you want to pursue this path."

"I never gave it a lot of thought, but I wanted to do something that makes people cherish their memories."

I hear Effie sigh loudly. "I guess you already made your path after being rejected by Liam. But remember you two are engaged and those grandparents yours are expecting a wedding. They will be surprised when they see how your stomach is swollen."

"I'll give them an explanation about the wedding and the pregnancy," I look at her. "In the meantime, I just need to focus on my last year as a senior."

Effie was off the couch and stretched her arms as she walked towards me and pulled me into an embrace before she pulled back."I'm glad you are not depressed from what just happened and you moved on. You don't need someone like Liam to be in your life. He doesn't deserve you. However, I find both of you cute couples since it has come to this. I will have your back no matter what."

Hormones were kicking in.

I cry, putting my head against her shoulders, and Effie pats my back.

"Thank you, Effie." I sobbed. The broken heart I held was finally let out once Effie promised me that I couldn't keep it any longer. I was so glad for her to understand my situation and be there for me. I'm delighted to have a best friend like her.

I continue to bawl out in tears against her as she comforts me in a motherly way by humming a lullaby as if I'm a child who needs the love to wash the pain away.

Hey guys!

I'm back!

Sorry, this chapter is short. I apologize for that. I wanted to make up for what I missed and hope you understand. The following few chapters will be longer.

HAPPY READING!