FOURTEEN

"How do you like your steak?"

I snapped my eyes up at Dad and frowned once he smiled.

"Finally, got your attention," he said. "I was beginning to think you have become deaf. What is the matter, Lily-pad? Ever since we arrived at the mall, you've been dozing off in La La Land, which I want to watch again because of Ryan Gosling."

I inwardly rolled my eyes.

Yesterday, Dad decided for us to have a mother-daughter bond. It was a good idea. I can buy things for the cruise, but instead, we stop at The Children's Place to shop for baby stuff before the arrival of my child in six months or less, and dad wants to be prepared.

Papa has already made one of the rooms we use for storage into a nursery room for the baby. He started working on it two days ago, constructing it, removing all unnecessary things and will begin the painting soon.

I only agreed to go because of shopping for the cruise, but we are here looking at newborn onesies.

"Oh my god, this one is cute," Dad held up a blue onesie with a cute dinosaur on it. "Anyways, back to my question."

Crap, I thought being distracted would make him forget what he asked me.

"Nothing is wrong, just...not feeling the mother craze of buying baby clothes," I said to him honestly.

"Are you telling me you're not excited for your bundle of joy that will soon come into this world?" Dad said. "Before we first adopted you and the papers were taking too long. Knowing that we have a baby girl in our lives, I've been shopping till I drop for baby girl stuff. Papa was tired and anxious to go home, but I couldn't help shop because I was too excited."

"I am excited."

"Then what is going on with that beautiful brain of yours? It's about Liam?" He wiggled his brows at me while looking through tiny baby clothes.

I groaned.

Dad just had to remind me of what happened that day at school. It took quite some time for me to forget; now, he had to bring it back in.

"It is," letting out a sigh. "I'm having doubts that he should learn about his child."

"Your child," Dad implied firmly, reminding me the baby is also mine. "He may as well know, but you must make that choice since you are carrying the baby in your tummy for the next six months. Your tummy will be like wearing a pillow inside, and you have to go to all those breathing exercises with the other pregnant women."

I blinked at him. "Did you seriously do that?"

I saw Dad blush and smile as he looked away shyly. "It was recommended."

"Dad," I said sternly.

"Don't give me that look; they were very supportive of me."

I groaned.

"I bet Daddy wanted to leave from humiliation."

"Your right, but also, they were wondering how I got a hunk like him, so I told him the PG version of my story," Dad laughed like those rich Asian women on that Korean show Effie would make me watch. I needed clarification even though there were subtitles. It was interesting. But seeing my Dad do it made me groan louder. "Oh, stop it, honey. Look if you want to tell Liam. Go with your heart and not your boobs. That's what Birdie always said to me before I met Wayne."

"Grandma said that?" I asked, and Dad nodded.

"Well, I interpret the last part, but if you want Liam to know, just tell him instead of keeping it a secret." Dad went around and came to my side. "Honey, I know you. You don't like being lied to or lying, and lying about your feelings for Liam is eating you up. As I said, you and he need to talk one and one to set your differences."