NamJin: Guardian Angel

Everyone has a personal, visible guardian summoned by words long forgotten. In Kim Namjoon's case, he just said the words by accident.

Rain pours down in an endless stream, filling the would-be silent night with the sound of water on concrete. But Namjoon doesn't care. He stopped caring the day he found his sister dead in her room a few years ago. That day, his entire life didn't matter anymore. Nothing matters now. Nothing.

He's waiting in the pouring rain for the bus to take him back to his expensive apartment he shares with two other people, both of which have amazing and cute boyfriends of their own. It bothers him because he's still lonely, unable to find the right person to love him the way he craves. Instead, he's just a joke for a rapper, loved by only his fans. He truly appreciates them, but they still can't fill the empty space in his heart.

Namjoon starts to cry as he stares into the night, for a bus that will never come. "I'm just a joke," he whispers to no one as the wind blows the rain sideways, masking the sound of footsteps on the wet pavement.

There is a gentle hand on his shoulder, then the feeling of the rain disappearing around him. Namjoon looks to the stranger next to him and his eyes go wide as he gazes upon the man. Brown hair parted neatly, dark brown, almost black eyes filled with amusement, a sweet round face, thick lips pulled into a small, close-lipped smile. His skin is a light honey color, unlike his own dark skin. And he has on a pretty navy-blue silk button-down, the first few buttons open. The shirt is loose on the man's wide shoulders, and he looks genuinely beautiful, like a painting coming to life.

Namjoon has never seen anyone as beautiful as this man.

"I know I'm handsome, no need to stare," he jokes quietly, sending Namjoon a playful nudge. His voice is the equivalent of a sunset on the beach; angelic and surreal all at once. It fills Namjoon with a warmth that spreads through his body and makes his heart feel a little lighter, and he can't help the blush that spreads across his cheeks.

The stranger's laugh is like the sound of a windshield wiper, but somehow sweeter and more pleasant and contagious. "It's okay. I don't mind your staring. And I don't think you're a joke, either." The stranger says the last part quietly and more serious, laughter completely gone from his features and replaced with compassion.

"How long have you been standing here?" Namjoon asks with an uneven lilt in his tone, signaling his fear. "Long enough to hear you lie to yourself. You're not a joke. No one's a joke," the stranger replies with a shrug before he holds out his hand. "I'm Kim Seokjin, by the way. But just call me Jin." That smile is back, which grows when Namjoon places a cautious hand in his. "Kim Namjoon. Pleasure to meet you." Jin's smile grows into a sly smirk as he says, "I know. Everyone is always honored to be in my presence."

Namjoon can't help but chuckle when they let go of each other's hands. "You're a bit egocentric, aren't you?" he asks, earning a lilt of the head and an indecisive face. "Sort of, but it's more of a confidence. You wanna be yourself, then rock it. That's what I do," Jin replies simply. It makes sense, and Namjoon can only nod in agreement.

"Face it, Namjoon. The bus is never going to show up. How about I walk you home?" Jin says after a moment of silence punctuated by the sound of rain on pavement. Namjoon nods hesitantly and starts to walk in the direction of his expensive apartment. And Jin is quick to grab his hand and hold it tight, pulling Namjoon back onto the sidewalk as a car speeds past right where he was about to step. He's startled, but is only met with a kind gaze. "Didn't your mother ever tell you to look both ways before crossing the street?" Jin chuckles, but his eyes shine with relief.

And for the first time in a long time, Namjoon feels like someone cares.

When they reach the apartment, they're greeted by Yoongi and his boyfriend Taehyung, who is giving his boyfriend a backhug while he makes ramen. "Hey, Namjoon-hyung! Want some ramen?" Taehyung asks cheerfully as he rests his cheek on Yoongi's shoulder. Namjoon shakes his head and tugs on Jin's hand to get him to follow him upstairs to his room. "Careful! Hobi brought Jimin home!" he hears from the kitchen, and all Namjoon can do is cringe while he climbs the stairs.