MinJoon: Don't Worry (I Love You)

Children ran around the common room of the orphanage; some of them were playing tag, while others were stealing and stealing back toys. The few older kids there -- those eleven and older -- were acting as mediators between quarreling children or comforting those who seemed to be a bit down. 

Namjoon couldn't think with all the noise surrounding him, but that was nothing new. What was new was the fact that he was now in a room full of children not because he was a teacher, but because he was matched with a five-year-old boy that lived in this particular orphanage. 

"Jimin usually keeps to himself; he had a best friend, Jeon Jungkook, but he was adopted about a year ago," the social worker explained as he walked, Namjoon struggling to keep up with his brisk movements. "Ever since then, Jimin regressed back into the boy he was before Jungkook came here." 

The two adults made their way outside, finding a volunteer and a small child sitting on a bench a little ways away from the main building. 

"Hoseok, this is Jimin's match," the social worker said as they approached, gesturing to Namjoon. 

The volunteer, Hoseok, stood and bowed politely to Namjoon. "It's nice to meet you!" he beamed, paying no mind to how the little boy was yanking on the hem of his shirt. 

Namjoon offered a friendly smile, shaking Hoseok's outstretched hand. "Nice to meet you, as well. And you must be Jimin, right?" 

He looked to the little boy, who seemed to be on the verge of tears as he yanked at Hoseok's shirt urgently. The volunteer pouted down at him, but sat down and scooped him up to sit in his lap. "Jimin, say hi to Namjoon. He wants to adopt you, you know this." 

Namjoon crouched down a little bit, not minding the dirt now clinging to his pants, to be eye-level with Jimin. 

From the moment he happened upon Jimin's profile, Namjoon was determined to become his father. He instantly fell in love with the little boy and wanted to give him the best life he possibly could. That urge strengthened when he learned that Jimin had been abused as a baby and witnessed a lot of things no child should have to go through. 

"Hi, Jimin," he cooed, reaching into the bag he brought along with him, "I don't really know what you like, but I saw this and thought you would like it." 

Namjoon pulled out a cat plush -- one of those lavender-scented ones that you could put in the microwave to help with anxiety or headaches -- and offered it to the small boy. Jimin stared between the cat plush and the stranger holding it for a few moments, then hesitantly accepted the cat plush. 

"What do you say, Jiminie?" Hoseok muttered, smiling as he watched Jimin hug the cat plush close to his chest. 

"Th-thank...you."

Namjoon gave him a smile, pushing his glasses up on his nose. "You're welcome, Jimin. They told me you have nightmares, so maybe that will help you sleep better." 

Jimin nodded, burying his nose in the plush to smell the faint lavender scent. "We can't have pets...I want a kitty." 

It was a small fact about Jimin, but it made Namjoon happy that the boy was willing to open up just a little bit. His smile broadened. "Well, my brother, Taehyung, lives with me. He has a cat. We call him Sunshine because he likes to lay on his back in the sun." 

The little boy's eyes sparkled at the mentioning of a cat. "Can I...can I see?" He patted the spot beside himself and Hoseok, silently giving permission for Namjoon to sit next to him. 

The adult obliged, pulling out his phone to pull up the most recent picture of Sunshine that Taehyung sent him. Sunshine was a large, orange Maine Coon that had to be brushed every day to avoid matting. He also liked the vacuum and would roll over onto his belly whenever Taehyung or Namjoon vacuumed behind the couch.