~Chapter 40~

Rei P.O.V

Midnight strolled in carrying a vase full of roses, "Hey" I said in a whisper as to not wake up my father. 

"You look awful!" Present mic wandered in and my father jolted awake and licked his fur carefully, "You and hospitals don't mix do they Hizashi?" Nezu asks sarcastically and Present mic bowed and muttered a posthaste apology.

 "We brought these for you" Midnight laid a box of cards at the foot of the bed and smiled warmly, "Thanks Nemuri and Hizashi" I was truly grateful for the kindness they had always shown to me. 

"We tried giving some to Aizawa but they wouldn't let us in" Present mic somberly sat down in an armchair to the left of me. 

A knock was heard and midnights eyes darted to the door, "Sorry to intrude but its time to fill out release papers, she can go home in a couple hours." the nurse pronounced and they all nodded in relief. 

"What about Aizawa?" I asked and the nurse tilted her head, "Aizawa? Oh! the critical care patient. He is doing better and insists on being released." She looked behind her checking for any other medical staff that could overhear. 

"But between us, I think he should stay another couple of days. He looks awful" She handed me a couple papers and I signed them, "We can bring a wheelchair in" The nurse stated and Hizashi shook his head. 

"Don't worry about it, ill grab a wheelchair and wheel her out", I beamed at him. 

They weren't wearing their hero outfits and that's why the press wasn't mobbing them, the heroes have a document protecting their names from the public when they were in the hospital preventing from unwanted press attention. 

After a couple hours of conversation, I went into the bathroom with Midnight and she helped me dress and brushed my hair, "I'm covered in bruises" I lamented and she rolled her eyes.

 "That makes you a badass" she put mascara on my eyelashes, "They told me not to wear jeans or anything tight for a couple weeks because of this" I lifted my sweater to reveal bandages.

 "One day you can show your kids these battle scars" Midnight was always so supportive, "That would be nice..." I admit settling down one day could be enjoyable.

 "Ready?" Present mic asked outside the door, "interrupting a ladies makeup time is beyond rude Hizashi~!" Midnight cooed. 

I walked out and sat down in the wheelchair, midnight handed me the box of cards and I held onto them carefully, "Your carriage awaits" Present mic winked and I laughed.

 He wheeled me to the elevator, "get her to the car and i'll go get Aizawa" Midnight was about to turn to leave but Nezu hopped on her shoulder. 

I nodded and Hizashi pressed the button for the bottom floor, as we got outside I felt the crisp exhilarating air and I breathed in.

 "Hey, rei?" I looked up to see Hizashi staring back down at me, "hm?" I searched his usually smiling face but noticed him frowning. 

"I am sorry about this whole thing..." He trailed off and I playfully struck his chin from below, "Dumbass, this isn't your fault" I smirked and he rubbed his chin. 

"Aizawa has always been my bestest friend and well I've never seen him truly happy until you came along." My eyes widen and the car pulled up thanks to valet parking.

 "And I could never forgive myself if you or he got killed..." I shakily stood up from the wheelchair, before he protested I turned and hugged him gently as not to press my bandaged stomach against him.

 I felt his arms envelop me, "We may all get on each other's nerves, we may do stupid shit but we're a family. And family doesn't give up on each other nor do they blame each other for the evil things villains do"I pulled away and he regained his smirk. "Now, let's get in this car" I held my stomach as Hizashi opened the door and helped me in, I sat in the way back waiting for the others.

 I saw a completely wrapped up Aizawa, Present mic started laughing uncontrollably and I grimaced.

 "You look like a fricking mummy!" Hizashi exclaimed and I winced, "moron," Aizawa declared too weak to get into an argument

I didn't know what to say, I didn't feel like I had the right to speak to him, I didn't do jackshit to protect him. 

"Here" Midnight helped Aizawa to sit next to me in the car, I looked out the window unsure of what to do. Midnight got into the driver's seat and Nezu hopped up to the front seat, Aizawa was sitting in the middle and Hizashi got a window seat which he was excited about.

 Midnight and Hizashi continued playful banter back and forth while my father was on several phone calls with the press as to answer their questions about the attack on the USJ.

 I couldn't even see Aizawa's face, it was completely covered, I felt a weight on my shoulder and I looked to Aizawa resting on me.

 I blushed and clicked my tongue before wrapping my arm around him gently as not to cause him any pain, "See little Rei, he has no hard feelings" Hizashi whispered to me and I nodded.