Chapter 3: the whittler

*unedited*

Astrid

"Hiccup..." I say rubbing my eyes. Then my eyes shoot into focus as I realise I am no longer in Gothi's hut. "Hiccup!" I shout. I notice that my body is covered in bandages and what in Thors name am I wearing? It looks like I've died!

I'm wearing a blue silky dress only put on those who were dead. The only differences were that it's blue and I am obviously not DEAD! I think.

Could this be Valhalla? I look around the room to notice tons of wood carvings of... bears?! Ok now this is weird. I was expecting Valhalla to be more, well you know, 'lively'.

My dress thing had tons of scorch marks all over it. What happened to me? Maybe these are just strange looking presents... But where is Hiccup?

"she's awake, she's awake!" I hear someone shout. But there's nobody in the room, other than this odd looking crow. "she's awake, she's awake!" I hear something shout.

Did that crow just speak?

"oh you're awake!"

"that crow just spoke!" I say pointing at the crow, but she doesn't seem surprised.

"I know! The only problem is getting him to shut up!" she moans. I remain silent. "what's your name?" I don't know if I should tell her.

"who wants to know?" she looked at me. She seemed to be thinking. Doesn't she know her own name?

"I'm a wi- I mean woodcarver..."

"uh huh, I can see that!" I say looking around the room. "W-where am I?"

"name!" She says. Maybe I could make it up...

"Astrid" oops. It sort of slipped out.

"you're in Dunbroch, I rescued you..." she told me. What?

"what do you mean rescued me, I'm not dead?"

"nope. You were just in a sort of induced coma. Quite funny actually as I gave a wench the same potion, poison thingymabob a few days ago now..."

"wait I was poisoned?" I asked shocked.

"yes, it makes you appear dead, so close to being dead that no one, except for me would be able to tell... Or get you out of it... which I did. I'm making more of it now actually..."

"what, why?"

"in case it doesn't work the first time!" she mimicked her customer. "I can't believe she would doubt my methods!" what is she talking about, poisoned, dead? No, no, no this can't be happening.

Just then I notice something on my left love finger. It looks like an engagement ring.

"That was on your finger when you arrived, the only other thing that survived the wreckage..." I looked at it closely. I thought I might cry. H-he proposed? What? I can't believe it. It was beautiful with the strike class symbol and a Nadder on the front engraved with 'mine'. On the inside there was another engraving 'forever and always...' He made this for me. I then began to cry. But I quickly wiped my tears away as I noticed that she was staring at me.

"erm, s-sorry..." I say, she then began to whittle.

"That Merida, urgh, now I have to go back to get the ingredients..." she grumbled.

"did you just say Merida?" she nodded.

"yes, girl with untamed red hair, all she does is complain about my work. She's the one who asked for that potion, only God knows why..."

"you mean the Merida on Berk, my Berk..." she remained silent. "what do you know?" I asked her suspiciously.

"nothing..." she lied and continued whittling.

HEY GUYS! YAY ASTRIDS ALIVE! YOU DIDN'T THINK THAT I'D LET HER ACTUALLY DIE NOW DID YOU? HEHE...
ANYWAYS WAS IT GOOD?
BAD?
PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE AND FOLLOW!