1: Spark in the Dark

~ Amanda's POV ~

- reflection -

When did I first fall in love? Good question. All of the boys that I dated in the past never meant all that much to me. Even when they'd say lovely and romantic things to me, I'd just kind of brush it off. I never felt the same way about them as they did with me. All of this led me to believe that I could quite possibly never fall in love in the way that everyone is meant to. This was, of course, until I met Vince.

I first met Vince through my now best friend Stephen. After I finished high school and started working as an artist, I met Stephen. I painted a mural in his apartment. He told me that he was in a band and that I should come watch him play that next night. So I did. And that leads me up to the present.

- present -

The show is at a bar called the Rainbow and I decided to bring my best friend from high school, Heather. We watched his band play and I decided I should probably go say something to Stephen, so he knows I actually came to the show.

"Thanks for coming, Amanda!" He exclaimed excitedly once he saw me, and noticed that I had even brought someone. "You two should come to the after party we're having tonight, it's gonna be great."

Heather and I exchanged a glance and nodded to one another. Free alcohol and the potential to meet some new friends in the city sounded pretty good. So we agreed to go.

Me and Heather quickly got separated at the party when she met the gaze of a brown haired man from across the room. I didn't know anybody else here so I hung by Stephen's side. He introduced me to his girlfriend, Melissa, who was also an artist.

"So good to meet another artist in the city," Melissa said to me, giving me her biggest smile. "It seems most people I'm around are musicians, it's nice to have another person on my side," she said, jokingly nudging Stephen's arm as she spoke.

We talked for almost an hour about our work. She told me she was working for Interview magazine and how she gets to design lots of the covers and help execute photo shoots. She even offered to get me an interview for an open position at the magazine, to which I quickly accepted.

At some point Stephen must have gone off, because he eventually returned with one of his friends. The man was slightly shorter than Stephen and had the friendliest smile I've seen since being in the city. Not even to mention his soft, yet dark, brown eyes contrasting with his platinum blonde teased hair. He carried a glass, of what I imagined to be Jack Daniels, and walked by Stephen's side as they approached us.

"Amanda," Stephen said once they reached us. "This is my good friend, Vince."

That name fit his figure and appearance so perfectly. I couldn't help but notice how immediately attractive he was, and certainly how intimidating he was.

"Hey, nice to meet you," I said, a little shyly.

"Hey," Vince responded. He flashed me his wide set of white teeth and I felt my cheeks get slightly warm. It was so hard for me to meet new people, not to mention guys, especially when they were really cute and intimidating.

"Stephen, you're totally out of Jack," an unfamiliar face said as they quickly approached us in a daze.

"How could I be, out-," he said, turning around to face the counter. "Guess everyone was thirsty tonight," he said, noticing the empty bottles lined up on his counter.