21: Back For More

~ Vince's POV ~

I watched the cab drive away with Amanda in its back seat, watching it all the way down the road, until I couldn't see it anymore. I was standing under the arch of the hotel, in the road, and somebody honked their car horn at me to get out of the way. The noise is what broke my trance in watching the cab drive off.

Although I was sad to see her go, of course, while we were apart I had a lot of things to take care of. Now with Nikki in the hospital, many shows, and having to be Tommy's best man in his wedding, was really making me realize how busy I was about to be.

I somberly walked back into the lobby and crossed it to get to the elevators. I hit the button and patiently waited for the beep of the elevator when a voice was calling me from behind.

"Vince?" A girl shouted. I turned around and saw that it was the same woman from the other morning when I was getting breakfast.

"Sorry, I forgot to bring your plate back," I said with a smile, turning around completely to face her.

"Oh, no worries," she said, now walking around the counter to approach me. "My friend didn't believe that you were staying here, she's the one that told me your name."

"Alright," I said, turning back to face the elevators after the little bell went off, suggesting that the elevator doors were going to open soon.

"Wait!" She said, insisting that I don't walk toward the elevators. "I'd love to buy you a drink."

"Ahh, sorry," I said, holding the door so that I wouldn't have to wait for it again. "My friend is sick and I gotta get back to him. Next time," I said and hopped stepped inside so that she couldn't say anything else to me.

It started to move and I sighed with relief that whatever she was trying to do was over. I was flattered, but completely taken and not even the least bit in the mood.Especially when she didn't even know my name until her friend had told her. Interesting detail. It made me realize just how different being out on tour was without having Amanda around with me.

I remembered that Nikki was laying in a hospital bed when I stepped into the shower in my room, angrily scrubbing my hair with soap. How could he let things get so bad with himself? And even to the point where it's been compromising the band. The guys always give me crap that I'm not really in it for the music, rather just the booze, drugs, and girls. That was partly true, but it was completely true that the music meant more for them, especially for Nikki and Mick. The last thing I'd expect to see from Nikki would be making us miss one of our tour dates.

Finally out of the shower, I dried my hair with the towel and laid out on the bed, this time alone. I flicked on the TV set and put the evening news so that I wouldn't be tempted to stay awake. I had a long day ahead of me and I needed the sleep.

I must have fallen asleep because when I was awoken by a fist pounding at my door, it was bright outside. I had to squint as I got up, cringing at the bright morning light as I made my way to the door. The fist knocked more fiercely and I groaned back, "Geez, I'm coming."

I opened the door to find Doc standing there with a 'what the fuck is going on' expression on his face. "Why the hell aren't you dressed and packed?" He exclaimed, seeing my disheveled hair and mess scattered throughout the room.

"What do you mean? You said we were leaving tonight," I said, rubbing my eyes but still growing angry that he had interrupted my sleep.

"We are," he said, pushing past me. He grabbed my suitcase from the ground and threw it onto the bed, starting to pile my junk into it frantically. "It's almost seven. Get your shit together, we're already late."