28: On With the Show

~ Vince's POV ~

I walked out the door and glanced both ways down the sidewalk. I saw her walking with her arms folded, quickening her pace as she walked under the pale streetlights. I immediately went after her, walking faster and faster. Damn she could walk fast in heels.

"Amanda," I breathed out when I finally got caught up to her. I kept up my pace as I approached her right side, but when she turned to face me, she did not look happy. She looked straight ahead and started walking even faster. "Hey, please," I said, holding my arms out in a plea for her to hear me out. "Can I talk to you?"

She stopped in her tracks and looked to me with an annoyed glance. "What do you want?" She demanded.

"Well...you," I said as I started to smile. But she didn't seem to happy to hear that.

"I don't have time for this," she muttered under her breath as she kept walking. I wasn't sure where she was headed, I knew her apartment was in the opposite direction.

"Won't you just hear me out?" I asked as I walked by her side. I knew it wasn't going to be good for me in the long run, but I wanted to tell her I wanted to be together, whatever that would mean for us. I'd find a way to get over everything else, it wasn't worth getting in between us.

"Fine," Amanda said, stopping and turning to face me. She waited for me to talk and I knew my time was short, but I didn't know how to tell her what I wanted to say.

"I want you," I started. "And I don't care about the things standing in between us. Forget it all, being with you is all I need."

"I don't feel that way about you anymore, Vince," she said solemnly.

"I-I don't understand," I responded with a shake of my head and a nervous chuckle. "That's not what it seemed like back there." I mean, just moments ago we were moaning into each other's ears. What changed?

She was the one who made the move on me tonight. Yeah, I didn't stop her. But I wasn't the one claiming to be over her. She told me she was trying to avoid me tonight by going to this other bar, but then she followed me into the bathroom. She did all of those things, not me. I really didn't get it.

"I'm sorry," Amanda said with a serious look on her face as she looked into my eyes. "I should get going." She turned and kept walking, but this time I stayed right where I was standing.

When she started to kiss me back at the bar, when I followed her out the door, when I stopped her on the sidewalk, I never imagined her saying no to me. But it was a bit foolish of me to think that she hadn't moved on after all of these months. And now it was time to let myself finally do the same.

I turned around and headed back towards my apartment. I walked with my head high. I wasn't going to look into the past anymore, I didn't need that. I wasn't going to focus on her if she was over me, I'm done. Now I have Lauren, a new album, and a whole new life ahead of me.

Or on second thought, maybe I need to get out my feelings. I wonder what Tommy is up to tonight.

~ Amanda's POV ~

Had I really meant what I said to Vince? I honestly don't even know. I knew I was tired of going back and forth with him, worrying if he was going to be around the corner every time I left my apartment. I was tired of wondering if he still cared for me, tired of waiting to do anything serious with Axl, just in case Vince might want me back.

But hearing him say that he wants me back filled me with anger instead of happiness. Had he really expected that I was waiting all of these months for him to come back to me? Or that I was willing to drop everything to be with him again? It was time to move on. Even if I had gone home with him tonight, we both know that was never going to work out in the long run. He'd eventually change his mind back, or I'd have to cave in and walk down the aisle. And the breakup had become so much more than just a problem of marriage after all these months.