74: Turn the Page

~ Vince's POV ~

- two months later -

Well, the day has finally come. The day that the guys and I leave for the tour. Or it's tomorrow. Tomorrow morning. As sad as I am to leave behind everything I have here, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't looking forward to getting away at the same time.

It was great being home with Amanda and Maria, but I think some time apart wouldn't be the worst thing ever. We had grown so close over the past year or so that I've been back from the last tour, but I think being apart will make us feel closer to one another. If that could ever make any sense.

I had packed up my things a few days ago, and Amanda and I had already said our share of goodbyes. But we still both knew that it wasn't going to make today any easier. I had mentioned to her nearly every day that she should come along, because if I could have it my way, that's what I'd pick. But she got offered a great job at one of the big universities in New York, so I could never ask her to leave that opportunity behind.

I kept telling myself that this was good, to be apart from her, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't hurting at all. The guys had taken me out for drinks on a few occasions, and today it was just Stephen and I, since the guys were still packing up their things. The sober thing hasn't started just yet.

"I'm going to miss you too, man," Stephen said, giving me a pat on the back as he ordered us another round of beers. "It's just not the same without you around here."

"You'll be leaving soon enough," I said, chuckling a bit before taking the first swig out of the new beer bottle.

"I don't have a girl to leave behind this time," Stephen said. "It feels empty."

"I know the feeling," I said, recalling the times that I was on tour while Amanda and I were apart. "It gets old pretty fast."

"You know? I thought for sure she'd take me back," he admitted. "Not that I can't find another girl. It's just that I want that one."

"You'll find someone," I assured him. "Who knows? Maybe it'll be someone on the tour."

"Why do you keep saying 'someone' like I would date a guy?" Stephen asked, turning to face me with an accusatory look, but with his eyes reading sarcasm.

"Hey, I wouldn't judge if you wanted to," I said, shrugging.

"What if I said I liked you?" Stephen asked, eyes glowing in the bar. For a moment I couldn't really tell if he was lying or not. But I knew the fucker was just playing around.

"You wanna kiss me or what?" I asked, leaning in with confidence to see if he would back away or not.

"Oh my god," the bartender, Mike, suddenly said. His voice cut through the very odd joke that Stephen and I had made after about six beers each.

"I was kidding," I said, hardly even slurring my words, but I felt like I sounded really drunk.

"I was gonna say," Mike said, chuckling. "I don't think your wife would like that."

"She wouldn't care," I said, slightly in defense of myself or...I don't really know what I was defending. I was drunk.

"Then kiss me," Stephen said, clearly really drunk too. I don't know what kind of sorrows he was trying to drink away, but I knew what I was trying to forget.

"I fucking would but I know you're too much of a coward," I mocked, even though I really didn't want to kiss him.

"I don't think you wanna do that, Vince," Mike warned. But in my drunken state, I really didn't want to be told what to do. Especially after I gave that bitch backstage passes to our show in Albany.