52: All Apologies

~ Amanda's POV ~

I stood up and moved over to the bag of Vince's things that they had packed up after his first day at the hospital. I had been too emotional to look at any of it, but I finally felt ready. I was hoping that it would give me some kind of answer as to what the hell I was supposed to do.

There was a small bag that contained his silver chain necklace, his gold watch, and a few rings he must've been wearing too. His torn black jeans and Harley Davidson t-shirt were absent from the bag, probably because they were ruined in the accident.

The only other thing in the bag was his leather jacket. The one that had followed him everywhere he went for years. I unfolded it and held it up in front of me, all of the memories of him in it flooding back into my mind. One of the arms was a scratched and torn from the accident. I held it close to me, practically hugging it as I was drinking in the scent of him.

"Why do you have my jacket?" A quiet and groggy voice asked.

The only other person in the room was Vince. I turned around, reluctantly, to see his eyes, squinting at the bright light of the hospital room, turned to look at me.

A smile brushed across my face as I dropped the jacket and rushed over to be by his side. I sat down where I was earlier, holding his hand tightly within mine.

"Careful with that jacket," he mumbled, a smile coming onto his face once he saw me. "My wife loves that one."

"Your wife?" I asked, chuckling a little because he was clearly disoriented from all of the medications they had him on.

"Yeah...Amanda," he said, grinning at the mention of my name. "Where is she?"

"I'm right here, baby," I said, feeling my eyes swell up with emotion.

"What happened to me?" He asked suddenly, noticing the pain in his body and the cast covering his arm. He must've been starting to come out of his groggy state already. I took it as a good sign.

"You were in an accident," I said quietly. "A bad one."

"No," he said, squinting his eyes shut. "God dammit," he said under his breath, leaning his head back onto the pillow in anger, but wincing at the pain.

"I should let your doctor know you're awake," I said, squeezing his hand lightly before getting up.

After leaving Vince's room, I spotted the doctor heading my way with that same somber look she had on her face earlier. She was sympathetic toward me, about to lose my husband and all. But now it was finally time for good news, and for that look of guilt to wipe off of her face.

"He's awake," I said suddenly, her eyes widening at my words.

"That's excellent," she said, quickening her pace as she moved past me and into the room. "Vince, how are you feeling?" For the first time I saw a real smile on Dr. Parker's face. And for the first time in a long time, there was a real one on my face as well.

"I feel like shit," he said, his voice low and raspy.

"You were in an accident," Dr. Parker said, reaching into her pocket to grab her flashlight and starting to look into his eyes. "What's the last thing you remember?"

"Um," Vince started. "I remember getting off the plane. I vaguely remember coming home."

"Well...you were on a motorcycle," Dr. Parker began, pulling the rolling chair up to the bedside. I moved closer and stood on the other side of the bed, reaching out to grab Vince's good hand and holding it within mine as she told him the rest of what happened. "Without a helmet," she continued. "And you were drinking," she went on. "We also found a lethal amount of heroin in your blood. You're lucky to be alive, Mr. Neil."