34: It's Not Love

~ Amanda's POV ~

- the wedding day -

I stood there, with Vince in front of me, waiting for what I was going to say. He asked if we could talk. Did I want to? No, fuck him. He had done more than just embarrass me a couple of weeks ago, he made a complete fool out of me. But I figured that he could at least explain to me why he did what he did. Or whatever else was going to spill out of that filthy mouth of his.

"Sure," I finally agreed. "You don't have a lot of time, though."

"I know, just come with me," Vince said, walking with me out behind the tent and into the trees that surrounded the area. It was enough privacy to talk and nobody else was around.

I stood and waited for him to start talking, eager to find out what was so important that it couldn't wait until after the wedding. I had to remind myself: fuck him, he hurt you! More than once, too, I might add. But maybe it would be worthwhile hearing what he has to say.

"I just have to know," he said, shaking his head slightly as he spoke quietly. "Why didn't you meet me at the Empire State Building that night?"

Wait, what the fuck do you mean?! Why didn't I come? Why the hell didn't you come?

"I waited hours for you, Vince," I said, feeling angry tears start to well up in my eyes.

"You did?" He asked, looking like he was taken aback by my words. "When I got there, there was nobody up there anymore."

"You came?" I asked, feeling a tear start to stream down my cheek. I should've waited longer. I couldn't believe that I was so quick to think that he was willing to hurt me like that. I was so relived to realize that he was who I thought he was after all.

"Yes! Of course I did, I can't believe you did too," Vince said, stepping closer to me. "I thought you changed your mind about me."

"I thought you changed yours," I said, taking a step closer to him too.

We were standing so close now and every part of my being felt like it would be the last. The wedding was starting in just minutes, somebody was probably going to come by any minute to find us. But neither of us moved an inch. We looked into each other's eyes and my heart beat fast when I wondered what was going to happen next. Everything I pictured for the day, week, my entire future was completely shaken up now.

"You know I can't say it," he said, reaching out to hold my hand within both of his. "I want to, and I will...tonight."

"What are you going to do about Lauren?" I asked, suddenly feeling awful that one of my best friends is about to be left at the alter.

Before he could respond, a familiar voice was coming from just around the tent.

"Vince?" It was Tommy and after he saw us, he lowered his voice as he started walking over to us. "What are you guys doing? The wedding's starting like...right now guys."

Tommy put his arm around Vince and they started to walk in the direction of the ceremony. They got a few steps away from me before Vince interjected.

"Tommy, wait-," Vince said, stopping and turning to look back at me. I gave him a gentle smile, knowing that this couldn't be easy for him. He had so much recent history with Lauren, it's not like they had a fight and it would be easy to just walk away from her. They were in a relationship together up until this very moment. They were in love.

Tommy saw the two of us locking eyes before rolling his.

"Jesus Christ," he said, shaking his head. "We're waiting for you guys out there."