23: Just Go Away

~ Vince's POV ~

I turned around and walked away from the only woman I had ever truly loved. It took everything in me to say what I said, and even more to not turn around to get one last look at her. I loved her, but that didn't change the fact that we simply wanted different things. We both knew what we wanted, and it's a shame that it wasn't the same thing.

I figured I should probably leave, to not make myself or Amanda anymore upset than we both already were. We said we would take the train earlier, but I felt bad leaving her here with nobody to look after her. I searched the crowd for Stephen but ran into Tommy's mom, Anna, before I could find him.

"Are you leaving already?" She asked me. "Where is that young woman of your's?" She asked me with a polite smile. I sighed and told her the truth.

"I thought about what you said, I told her that I wanted to marry her," I said as she formed a smile on her face. "Except it didn't go over well," I said, trying to hold back from getting upset at what had just happened.

"Darling," she said, resting her hand on my shoulder. She reminded me a lot of my mom before she had passed away and the feeling of having that kind of person in my life again was giving me comfort. "When there's love, there's always a way."

"I'm not so sure," I said, confiding in her.

"If you love each other, things will work out. Give it time, have patience," she said before walking away. Tommy was really lucky to have a mom, especially one who was willing to be so involved in my life, and she had just met me. I knew she meant well, and she didn't know our situation, but this was different.

I finally found Stephen in the crowd of people.

"Vince! Where have you been?" He asked with his arm around Melissa.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a minute?" I asked, not wanting Melissa to unleash herself onto me for what I had just said and done to her best friend. He nodded and came over to me and I asked, "Would you mind bringing Amanda home with you? If you're taking the train back? I want to make sure she gets back okay."

"No problem. Where are you going?" He asked, wondering why I wasn't going to take her home with me.

"It's nothing. I'll tell you about it later," I said before waving goodbye. I knew I could count on Stephen, I always could. He's the friend that I've known the longest and he would probably do anything for me, and I would do anything for him.

The train station was just down the road so I thought I'd just take a walk under the moonlight to clear my thoughts, instead of blowing the cash for a cab ride home.

I honestly couldn't believe what had just happened with Amanda. I felt terrible, of course, to leave her there alone. But I knew it wouldn't be good for either of us to stay together if we were going to want different things in the end. This is what's best for both of us, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

~ Amanda's POV ~

I watched Vince walk away until he disappeared into the crowd of people. My stomach ached with the feeling that I had in my stomach, I couldn't believe what had just happened. I thought everything between us was going better than ever, but looks like I was wrong. I had no idea that getting married was really that important to him. But I have to say I agree it was never going to work if we were going to want different things in the future.

I looked around for any familiar face in the crowd and only spotted Melissa in the distance, who was walking toward me.

"Hey Amanda! Isn't this all so beautiful?" She asked me and I cracked a smile and nodded, even though there was probably mascara stains down my cheeks. "Why are you crying?"