26: Perfect Strangers

~ Amanda's POV ~

I woke up with a fuzzy feeling clouding my head. I opened my eyes and realized that Vince and I had fallen asleep on the couch. He laid on the inside of the couch against the back cushions and I laid beside him. My head was laying on his chest and his arm hung over me. What had we gotten ourselves into last night?

Neither of us were drank too much, I remember everything that happened clearly, but what were we thinking? That it would be okay to hook up? And like we could move on like everything else never happened? Or go back to being standoffish to one another when we run into each other at the bar? I don't even know what to think of the situation. We had talked and there was little left unsaid, we knew nothing had changed since our breakup. But we had pretended that everything was okay from the end of that conversation right up to this point.

As much as I'd love to keep pretending that everything was normal again, and to stay laying on the couch under Vince's arm, I had to pee more. I quietly slipped away and headed to my bathroom.

After using the toilet I stood and looked at myself in the mirror. What was I going to do about this? Sure, I still wanted to be with Vince. But I didn't want to be with him when we wanted different things, it just didn't make sense. I straightened out my tangled hair with a brush before walking back to my kitchen.

"There you are," Vince said, now sitting up on the sofa. He had put his shirt back on and it looked like he was waiting for me for awhile even though I had only been gone minutes.

I suddenly felt self conscious walking toward him in just my underwear and a t-shirt. I sat down on the couch next to him again. To think of how much trouble this one couch had caused me recently.

"About last night...," I started, unsure of what I was even going to say.

"We can't let that happen again," Vince said, cutting me off but finishing the difficult sentence for me. I'm not sure that's what I would've said but I went along with it.

"Yeah, I know," I said, sighing and looking down to my bare thighs. I tried to cover them with my shirt but it only reached out so far. "It's probably for the best if we're just friends."

"It's not that I don't want to," Vince said, looking back at me with a loving smile. "But it won't make things any easier."

I just nodded and wondered if I should say anything else. He was completely right. But I think I was waiting for him to say that he could forget marriage if it meant being able to be with me. I was even waiting for myself to give in, to say 'put a ring on me so we can be together'. But that was just my mind wandering.

"I should probably get going," he said as he stood up from the couch. He slowly made his way over to my door but before he put his hand onto the handle he turned around with a smirk on his face. "Let me know if you ever change your mind," he said before opening the door and shutting it behind him.

I got up and locked the door before I made myself something to eat. As I crunched on my toast I wondered if I would be okay just being friends with Vince. Would I ever be okay with being married, though? I couldn't think like this, this early in the morning, and these weren't the kind of thoughts that you want lingering on your mind.

I didn't want to sit around my apartment all day thinking about Vince so I decided to call up Melissa and Heather. We all agreed to meet up for lunch and shopping at a place just down the street from all of our apartments.

I threw on a quick outfit before walking down the many flights of stairs down to the lobby. As I walked down the sidewalk to the restaurant, I couldn't help but remember my excitement walking with Vince down this same sidewalk last night. I looked back at myself and laughed at me being so naive to believe that everything might be okay between us again.