s i x || when we were put together

Past
July 21st, 2010
Wednesday afternoon
4.34 P.M.
The X-Factor
London, England

All the boys watched as Dermot and the camera crew entered the the room with a clipboard in his hand and a look on his face which caused them all to dread the next move. Everyone began to grow nervous, fearing what might happen next to them. They were all afraid of getting kicked off the show. Zayn's heart was beating fast in his chest, his palms beginning to sweat. He nervously looked around, everyone else having the exact same look on their faces. Since a few contestants were already sent home and rejected, no one had an idea what was going to happen next, things seemed tense.

His eyes swooped over to Liam's, the brunet turning his head, their eyes to meeting. The younger boy gave him a reassuring nod and a small smile, but the sweet gesture didn't really help at all. Though, he was glad that Liam was here with him as well. After their first meet up two years ago, the two grew very close to each other and became good friends, best friends even. They were both surprised when they realized they had auditioned for the X-Factor together, but also relieved to see familiar faces.

It was a minute later when Dermot started reading the names off the list on the clipboard, the young Bradford latter's heart stopping its beat when he heard his name.

"Zayn Malik."

His whole world began to slowly crumble and the fear only grew stronger. He was on the verge of crying, his eyes staring blankly ahead as he focused on keeping the tears in.

"Liam Payne." Zayn's head immediately perked up when he heard Liam's name being called out, completely and utterly confused. Were they going to reject him too? The question kept repeating itself in his head. Liam's voice was by far the best one he had ever heard in his life. It was very professional for his age and it surprised him that he might get thrown off again. Which would be a shame because Zayn can imagine him become a very big thing with his talent.

"Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson and Niall Horan." The other three lads began to panic, Harry already shedding tears. He was covering his face with his hands, trying to hide the fact that he was scared.

"Follow me please." One of the crew members told the five and motioned for them to follow whilst the other contestants were dismissed.

Zayn sucked his bottom lip between his teeth and began to anxiously chew on it, following after the man. For some reason, they were being led to the stage, the dark haired lad glancing back at Liam who was walking a few feet behind him. He looked back ahead, the five of them walking onto the stage where the judges were waiting on them in the empty studio. A group of four girls hold each other's hands were also being led onto the stage.

Zayn stood in the middle between the four of the other lads, Niall and Louis having their arms draped around them. He couldn't look at the judges, so he kept his head bowed, wanting to avoid any kind of eye contact until Nicole greeted them with a soft hello.

"Thank you so much for coming back." The singer smiled at the nine contestants once they all greeted her back. "I know, judging from some of your faces that this is really hard." She continued, looking around the room.

"We thought long and hard about it and we thought of each of you as individuals." She emphasized, trying her best to reassure the young acts. "And we just feel that you're too talented to let go of." She suddenly had a smile on her lips, the nine teenagers looking at each other, confused to what she was implying. Zayn just stared at Nicole, not sure what was coming next.

"We think it would be a great idea," she stopped to look at them, sighing quietly when she heard one of the girls sob in the background, "to have two separate groups." She finished.

"We've decided to put you both through to the judges house." Simon took over to announce the news, all of them screaming and cheering out of relieve. The boys sprung happily on the stage and the girls squealed, hugging each other when they couldn't contain their happiness.

The judges watched the nine and chuckled, Zayn rubbing at his chest to calm his heart down from the stress he felt. He looked over at the lads and smiled big, walking up to them as they huddled up for a group hug, all of them happy about not being kicked off the show.

"Guys, guys, still." Simon suddenly said when the contestants finally calmed, their attention moving back to the three judges. "This is a lifeline. You have got to work ten, twelve, fourteen hours a day, every single day and take this opportunity." He said to them sternly, making sure they understood the hard work they had to put into the groups before giving them a smile and a wink.

Zayn licked his dry lips before biting at it, his smile only growing. He glanced up at Liam who was now standing beside him, glad he was able now to work with him. They all headed backstage after they were dismissed and were interviewed about what had happened and how they were feeling. Harry took over and said what everyone was thinking and feeling, even demonstrating it by showing hand movements. The other four agreed with it, still not over the fact that they were put into a group together.

After that was done, they all went to meet up with the others, everyone excited for them. They were screaming and cheering, rushing up to congratulate the nine and everyone else who passed and was able to continue to the next show, excited to still be seeing each other. Some met up with their family members, others called them to tell them about the great news. It was a good day for the remaining acts.

"We did it." Liam grinned as he walked up to Zayn, pulling him into a bear hug. The older lad laughed and hugged him back immediately, inhaling the strong musk of his cologne. God, did he smell good.

"We did." He mumbled into his shirt and closed his eyes, holding onto him tightly. "God, I can't believe." He chuckled and rubbed at his eyes, shaking his head once they parted. "Here I thought we were all goners."

"Nah mate," the brunet patted his shoulder, "you and I are going to make a lot of memories together, conquering the world." He said and playfully nudged his elbow into his side.

Zayn chuckled at that and smiled to himself. "Yeah, we are." He said, without knowing that some things would take a turn, that no one really expected.

****

Everything Nicole and Simon said belongs to the video clip of when the boys were formed into a group. I had to rewatch it to get every word down so that does not belong to me. I wanted to make this chapter very accurate to when one direction was formed so I do not own any of it, except the last part and like Zayn's POV if you know what I mean.

But generally, I give credit to the video.