t w e n t y - e i g h t || After two days

Present
Two days later
May 8th, 2019
Wednesday afternoon
2.31 P.M.
Bellevue Hospital Center
NYC, Manhattan, New York

"What happened?"

"Car accident. Three males. One dead, two in critical condition. We need to get them to the ER now."

"Wh- where's my husband?"

"He's going to be okay, sir. We're going to take care of him."

"Subject has lost a lot of blood. We need to get him into surgery now!"

"L- Liam!"

"Sir, it's going to be alright. Just stay with us."

"Li..."

*

He woke up to the sound of voices around him. He tried to get up, but his body felt too numb. It's like not a single muscle was responding to his plead to move. His eyes slowly fluttered open, his vision still being blurry. He squinted them, a soft groan leaving him as he turned his head to the side, trying to look at the heart monitor going beside him.

"Mister Payne?" A feminine voice caught his attention, making him turn his head only to see two figures hovering over him. The next thing he knew was a bright light shining in one of his eyes, making him squint them in surprise.

"Where- where am I?" He croaked out, pushing himself up only to his when a sudden pain rushed through his body.

"You're in the Hospital, Mister Payne."

"The hospital?" The twenty-six year old asked confused. "Why- What happened?"

"You and your husband were involved in a car accident on Monday." The doctor explained.

"A- a car accident?" His brows narrowed. "Where's Liam?" He decided to ignore that fact and looked around the room, slowly gaining his vision back. He noticed the end of another bed peeping out from the other side of the curtain hanging between them, but didn't pay much mind to it. He just wanted to know where Liam was.

"Uh, Zayn?" The familiar voice of Louis sounded, causing the dark haired latter to turn his head into his direction. His best friend was standing there with Evelyn in his arms. Beside him was Niall and Harry sitting. Isabella was fast asleep in Niall's arms, cuddled up in her favorite blanket.

"Where's Liam?" Zayn repeated the question, waiting for the lads to respond to him.

"Sir, your husband had lost a lot of blood during the accident as well as suffering a head injury... we had to put him in a coma to keep him alive." The doctor told him, looking down at the clipboard in her arms.

The young singer ignored the sudden pain in his heart just listening to her explain. He inhaled a deep breath to keep himself from shedding a tear. "That doesn't answer my question. Where is he?" He repeated and looked at the doctor expectedly. All he wanted to know is where Liam was so he could go and see him.

"He's right over there." The woman said and walked up to the curtain. She pulled it aside to reveal Liam's body lying there lifeless on the bed.

Zayn moved his gaze over to the bed and now he regretted it. There his husband was, lying on the bed with tubes strapped all over his body. His face was covers with cuts and bruises and his head was wrapped in a bandage. He just laid there. The only thing that zayn could see moving was his chest heaving up and down.

Zayn's heart shattered at the sight.

He was ready to get up, struggling a little. He ignored the agonizing wave of pain washing over himself and his doctor's – as well as the others – protests to not move. He almost managed to get up on his feet, but he was forcefully pulled back down on the bed.

"Let me go!" He shouted, trying to get out of Louis' and Harry's grip but neither of them let him. That was when he broke down completely. The hot tears were streaming down his cheeks, his body became weaker and he started to shake viciously. His heart beat increased and it was obvious due to the beeping of the monitor picking up its rating.

1 hour later
4.03 P.M.

Zayn has been staring at Liam for almost an hour. He managed to have calmed down earlier, after the lads tried to comfort him. He hadn't talked to them since he saw Liam and had his breakdown. He was just silent, staring at his husband and wondering when he would finally wake up again. It felt like his heart kept breaking a piece the longer he looked at him.

His eyes would often swell with tears again.

Zayn remembered the night it happened, the things he heard. The crash kept repeating itself in his mind. If they only hadn't gone to the Met. They could've made themselves a great night at home, watching movies on netflix and eating junk food while being there for their daughters. He wanted to get up. Grab his hand and hold it tightly, kissing it every now and then while whispering that things will be okay into his ear and hoping he might hear him. But he couldn't.

The doctor had advised him bed rest for the next three days since his own injuries during the accident were still severe. Yet he didn't care about his injuries, he just wanted to hold Liam.

Zayn's thoughts were interrupted when the door open. He didn't look up though. His eyes were still focused on the brunet lying a few feet away from him.

"Hello, Mister Payne." A sweet voice greeted him. It was the nurse. He didn't respond to her though.

"Your family called earlier. They're coming over tomorrow, they couldn't get a earlier flight. Also, a few fans have dropped by and left some gifts for you and your husband. Very sweet girls. They were really worried about you." The nurse continued talking, hoping to at least get his attention for a short time, but nothing.

She sighed heavily and motioned for the wagon to be pushed in. She walked over to zayn's bed and grabbed the remote, pressing a button which lifted his upper body up carefully and slowly. "I brought you some dinner love." The young woman looked down at him. He didn't even bother moving his gaze away when she stood in front of him.

The nurse followed his gaze to Liam. "He's going to wake up soon." She said softly with a encouraging smile, looking back at Zayn.

"When's soon?" Zayn finally asked, turning his head to look up at her.

The woman didn't know how to respond to that. "Well," she started and walked over to the wagon, grabbing the tray from the top and carrying it to his bed, "soon is when his the brain is functioning back to its natural rhythm." She explained, placing his food on the table of the bed before pushing it to him. "Until then, you better eat something. It won't help him if you don't eat." She told him. "I know for sure he wouldn't want that."

Zayn has a small frown on his lips but he did as told. It was the first time in days he had eaten something and he knew that if Liam were awake, he would strictly tell him to eat as well. So he did just that and started having his meal. He looked over at the wagon and noticed all of the gifts their fans had brought by.

"Could you–" he motioned towards it, looking back at the nurse.

"Oh! Of course!" She smiled excitingly and walked over to it, pushing it beside his bed. "Such sweet gifts. They really put a lot of heart into them." She hummed, admiring all of the flowers and the presents.

Zayn smiled a little and grabbed a book that caught his eye.

Why I love Zayn and Liam
Malik-Payne
25 reasons

The dark haired latter's heart warmed up as he read the title and he opened the book, going through it. There were a lot of pictures from their one direction years on every page. The fan had put a lot of effort into making this book, everything written on each page being handwritten. It was truly remarkable.

He started reading word for word, admiring the pictures of him and Liam only to tear up again. He wished the brunet was awake to see this. Their fans truly were the best. He sniffled, looking up to see if the nurse was still there. But it seemed like she had left them alone to give him some privacy with the gifts.