t e n || the interview

Present
The next day
November 8th, 2018
Thursday morning
8.05 A.M.
Malik-Payne Penthouse
NYC, Manhattan, New York

The smell of pancakes and fried turkey bacon tickled Zayn's nose, causing him to slowly wake up from his peaceful slumber. He released a soft sound, stretching his limbs before turning onto his back to notice Liam's bedside being empty. He narrowed his brows, slowly pushing himself up to sit on the silky bed. He rubbed at his eyes, tiredly gazing around the bedroom. His body was still sore from last night, the two having continued their session once they got back home. The only time they stopped was when they ordered dinner and when either of them had to pee.

He had no motivation to get up whatsoever, but since Liam wasn't there, he forced himself our of bed. On the way out, Zayn grabbed his robe and slipped it on, slumping down the stairs. As he looked over to the kitchen area, he was met by a familiar, bare, scratched up, muscular back, his lips turning into a small grin.

The brunet was swiftly moving around the kitchen, listening to the radio whilst making their breakfast. He was moving his hips a little to the beat, Zayn humming at the intriguing sight of his husband. He snuck up to him from behind and wrapped his arms around him, pressing a kiss against one of the scars he had made last night.

"Morning, sleeping beauty." Liam greeted his husband with a chuckle, Zayn releasing a tired but soft grumble. "Slept well?" He asked, grinning a little.

"Oh, I slept amazing thanks to you." The Bradford man smirked and gently dug his teeth into his skin, receiving a low hum from his husband.

"I'm glad to hear that babe." Liam licked his lips and cracked an egg open, dropping it into the pan and cooking it. He repeated his action with three more, sprinkling some salt and pepper over it before adding some extra spices. "I made you your coffee in an extra pot and already mixed it with everything you like so you don't have to stress over it." He told him and kissed his head, Zayn smiling at that.

"You truly are the perfect husband." Zayn mumbled satisfyingly and pecked his lips, gently caressing his bearded jaw. He pulled away from him and walked up to the coffee pot. He grabbed his cup he got from Liam for Christmas last year and poured some of the coffee into it, blowing at it a little to cool it down. He took a sip, enjoying the warm beverage.

He always loved it when Liam got his coffee ready for him. The way he made it was always delicious which is why he didn't like coffee from shops or anywhere else.

"So... what's on the agenda today?" Liam asked, glancing at the dark haired beauty.

"Well," Zayn licked his lips and grabbed one of the fried turkey bacon strips, "we have the interview at ten and then I have to meet with James real quick to discuss next weeks schedule. After that I'm free so we can do whatever." He said and took a bite from the bacon, enjoying the crisp.

Liam smiled. "Great, 'cause I was thinking maybe we could go shopping a little. You do need more groceries and I also need some new clothes."

"Our first outing as a couple?" Zayn questioned with a lifted brow, grinning around the bacon strip.

The brunet nodded his head. "Yeah." He chuckled. "I mean, we came out a week ago. Might as well finally go out as a couple other than visiting Simon for meetings." He shrugged his shoulder casually and put the eggs on two plates. He turned the stoves off and placed the plates onto the decorative kitchen island. He motioned for Zayn to join him as he sat down on one of the highchairs.

Zayn sat down beside him. "Makes sense." He giggled, placing his cup down and started to help himself to the food that was sitting before them. The married couple enjoyed their breakfast together, feeding each other the food and stealing kisses. Once they were done, they helped each other clean up and got ready for the interview at the adoption agency.

3 hours later
11.37 A.M.
Little Flower Children and Family Services of New York

There was an awkward silence lingering in the room as the two celebrities watched the older woman scribble something down on a sheet of paper. It seemed to take forever but she would exchange uncertain glances with the couple, giving them some type of unpleasant and judgmental look. The only sound in the dull office was the ticking of the clock hanging above the window behind her.

Zayn felt uncomfortable to say the least.

From the very start, he got a bad vibe from this place. He wasn't sure why, but the feeling in his gut told him that there was something off. Judging by the grey color on the walls and the moldy colors in the corners, it gave him unsettling nausea. The woman wasn't even friendly to them. She did have a fake smile on her lips as she stepped out of her office once it was their time, but even that disappeared when she saw what kind of couple the two were. Liam and Zayn had exchanged knowing looks once she walked back in without uttering a single word.

"And why do you think you are capable of taking care of a child?" It was the third time she asked the question, both Liam and Zayn having to contain their annoyance.

"Like we mentioned before," Liam started, the old woman looking at him with a curious look, "my husband and I are doing everything we can to make sure that our schedules aren't as busy once we adopt a child. We both love taking care of children and we have been thinking about adopting a child for a very long time. We want to give them a well deserved family and a good environment to grow up in." He squeezed Zayn's hand gently, the older guy looking at him with a soft smile.

Though, his lips pursed when the woman snorted, clearing her throat after. "Sorry," she said and bit down her lip to stifle her laugh, "I just personally don't think a child should be exposed to a family like... yours." She said as she looked at their intertwined hands, the look of disgust evident on her face.

"Excuse me?" Zayn asked, narrowing his brows. "Is this really how you treat a couple when they are trying to adopt a child?"

"Not all couples." The woman replied without even hesitating, giving the latter a hard look which proved exactly their point.

Zayn's jaw clenched, his annoyance suddenly turning into anger. He could feel his blood boil. "I'm not surprised why your agency is labeled as the worst one." He said with a bitter voice, tilting his head.

"Excuse me?" She questioned, offended by the young man's attitude.

"You heard me. You're rude, cold-hearted, homophobic and just a fucking asshole and I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. I honestly feel sorry for the children that have to keep up with your behavior and I pray to god that someone, who is more competent than you and much nicer and accepting, will take your job because you're sure as hell bad at it." He spat angrily before getting up. "Have a nice day though." He sent a false smile her way, waving his fingers provocatively and exited the room.

Liam was surprised by his husband and immediately followed after him, the both of them not once taking another glance back at the woman. But judging by her screaming insults, she was furious. Zayn rolled his eyes, stepping out of the building before his shoulders slumped and he released sad sigh. That interview just ruined his day completely.

Liam stepped in front of him after he stopped walking, wrapping his arms around his neck. "Stop frowning." He demanded in a playful voice, gently lifting his chin up so they could look at each other properly. The brunet leaned down, pressing a gentle kiss to the corner of his lips.

"We're going to find a great agency that accepts every couple out there, okay? And we're going to adopt one or maybe even three beautiful children that we will raise and turn into successful young adults who will one day change the world, got it?" Liam told him softly and looked down at him. He wiped away a tear that rolled down Zayn's cheek, the older bloke leaning into his touch.

Zayn silently nodded his head and let Liam peck his pouty lips.

"Let's go get you distracted, babe." The younger lad declared, slowly heading down the streets with him to get him distracted from their not so successful interview by telling him how proud he was for standing up to the woman like that and buying them some food from the near by deli.