t h i r t y - o n e || false hope

Present
Two months later
July 23rd, 2019
Tuesday morning
Malik-Payne Penthouse

Phone? Check.

Wallet? Check.

Twins diaper bag? Check.

Dog fed? Check.

Everything off? Check.

Zayn looked around the room, picking up the twins diaper bag from the floor. He smiled softly when he heard the girls babble, glancing at them and making sure they were strapped in correctly in the carrier. As soon as he got everything, he made his way downstairs. He grabbed the keys from the counter and looked around to see whether everything was off or not. Once that was checked, he headed out of the penthouse and locked the door, making his way to the elevator.

It's already been two months since the incident and Liam was still in a coma. Zayn was released a few days after he woke up but he didn't want to leave Liam's side. It took a lot of convincing until he decided to try being at home with the twins. The first two weeks were hard. Zayn wouldn't be able to sleep. His mind would just go back to that night where it all happened. The sounds, the screams, the pain. It was all stuck in his mind like a old movie on repeat. Every day, he would pray for Liam to wake up soon so he could finally hold him in his arms again, but he knew that he had to wait longer every time.

As the doors slid open, Zayn walked into the lift. He pressed the button for the lobby and watched the doors close again, tilting his head. With a soft hum, he leaned his back against the wall, staring at the numbers that kept changing above the doors on the small screen. The only sounds going through the elevator was the music and the twins babbling while playing with their stuffed animals.

It took them a while until they finally arrived at the lobby. Zayn stepped out of the elevator and made his way towards the exit. He walked up to the black van that was waiting for them, Paddy sitting in the front as he patiently waited for the dark haired latter to get in.

Zayn strapped up the carrier and made sure it was in the right position, humming softly. He kissed the girls' head and smiled down at them. He closed the door and got into the front, buckling himself up before telling Paddy to drive.

The young man gazed out the window as he watched the buildings pass by, admiring the sunny day in New York. The window was rolled down to let some fresh air into the stuffy car, making sure the girls wouldn't catch any type of cold from the backseat.

"Did the doctor call already?" Zayn asked as he glanced back at his daughters, gently rubbing at Isabella's head. Her hair was growing much faster than her sister's, already having a set of beautiful dark curls on the top of her head.

"Not yet." Paddy replied, keeping his gaze straight. "I'm sure he'll update you once we get there."

All Zayn did was hum. Before leaving the hospital, he had demanded for the doctor to keep him updated on what was happening with Liam everyday. He didn't care whether or not there was anything new, he just wanted to be sure his husband was okay and still alive. He gets that it might be stressful and annoying for them to always keep in touch with him, but hey, he was just worried about Liam.

Zayn could feel his phone vibrate in his pocket, making him pull it out and check who texted. It was his mum.

"Hey mum." He answered the call, glancing back at the twins once again.

"Hey sweetie, are you on your way to see Liam?"

"Yeah. We're heading there right now."

"Okay, good. Did you get what we sent you?" Trisha asked excitingly, Zayn already picturing the smile on her face.

"Yeah," the twenty-six year old chuckled, "thank you."

"Any time sweetheart. I thought it would cheer him up as soon as he wakes up. You know how much he loves them." Zayn's mother had decided to make a care package for Liam for when he would wake up again. She and Liam's mother got together and gathered all of his favorite sweets as well as some of his favorite things. They sent it out a week ago and it finally arrived last night. Zayn packed it into the bag for Liam after it was delivered so he wouldn't forget to take it with him.

"How are you holding up honey?"

"I'm alright, I guess." Zayn responded honestly, leaning back against the seat. "I'm just stressed with work and the girls are acting different ever since Liam got into the coma."

"Don't worry sweetheart. He's going to wake up soon."

"I now understand why my fans hate the word soon." The dark haired latter mumbled, staring up at the car ceiling. "People have told me the same thing for the last two months and still nothing has happened. What if he never wakes up? I can't do this without him, mum." He said, inhaling a shaky breath. He was close to tears, but didn't want to cry since Paddy was sitting beside him. He has been crying for the past two months. It felt like he had so much pressure on his shoulders, he couldn't take it. He hasn't been eating much lately either, it just wasn't the same without Liam.

"I know honey."

"Yeah." Zayn sighed. "We're pulling up into the hospital now. I'll call you later, bye mum." With that, he hung up the call. The car pulled into the hospital parking lot as he put his phone away into his pocket.

They all got out, Zayn getting the twins from the backseat along with the duffle and diaper bag. They all walked inside, heading directly to Liam's room as soon as they signed in.

"Thanks for driving us, Paddy." Zayn said with a genuine smile on his lips, placing the bags down on one of the chairs.

"Of course, Zayn." The bodyguard smiled. "I'm here if you need anything mate."

"I appreciate it." The Bradford man hummed and placed the twins carrier onto the table. He pulled out their bottles from the diaper bag and started feeding the girls, smiling softly down at them.

He heard the door open and close, assuming that Paddy had left to give them all a moment. He turned around and looked over at Liam, smiling a little. "Hey baby." He walked up to him, placing a kiss to his forehead. "A package arrived for you yesterday. I brought it with for you." He said, caressing his cheek.

"Also," Zayn grabbed his bag and searched through it, pulling out his notebook, "I wrote a new song."

"It's not- it's not done yet, but I thought you might like to hear it." He looked for the page where his new song was written down, clearing his throat. He shakily linked his fingers with Liam's, squeezing it gently.

As he started reading the lyrics, word for word, the sound of the heart monitor hooked on Liam started to increase. It wasn't long before Zayn could feel his lover's fingers twitch against his, causing him to pause and look down.

"L- Liam?" His voice cracked as he stared down, eyes widening.

Was it finally happening? Was liam finally going to wake up? Zayn's heart was pounding in his chest as hope rushed through him. "Liam, baby, can you hear me?" He dropped the book, his focus lingering on his husband. He held his hands tightly as tears swelled in his eyes, yet things seemed to have calmed down after a few seconds.

Liam's heartbeat went back to its normal pace and the twitching stopped. Zayn's entire presence froze and tears started streaming down his cheeks.

False hope. Nothing new. The dark haired latter's head dropped and he sighed, holding Liam's hands against him. He started crying once again, uncontrollable sobs escaping him as he slumped onto his knees beside his husband's bed, once again wishing that he could finally wake up so that he could hold him.