t h i r t e e n || IKEA

Present
One month later
December 12th, 2018
Wednesday afternoon
3.57 P.M.
IKEA
Brooklyn, New York

"What about this one?"

Zayn looked over at Liam who stood ten feet away from him, looking down at a white painted crib. He chuckled when the brunet tested how strong it was by rocking it a little, but stopped when he heard a crack. The Bradford man covered his mouth to stifle his laugh, his husband quickly walking up to him and pulling him down the path as if nothing had happened. It has already been a month since their search for a good adoption agency had begun and so far they had no luck – the agencies were either homophobic or they were too late with adoption. They almost made it once with adopting a baby from India, but sadly it didn't work out when the mother decided she wanted to keep her child.

But it never really stopped them. Beside working on their music and attending events together and such, they made some time to work on a baby room at their place in New York. The two have decided to settle down officially in Manhattan and use their houses in Los Angeles and London as their Vacation slash crashing places for when they would be traveling and didn't want to pay for a hotel.

"You're an idiot." Zayn rolled his eyes and playfully pushed Liam, giggling before walking ahead of him. The brunet had stumbled a little to the side and glared after his lover.

"An idiot you love!" He shouted through the store, everyone who was visiting turning around to look at him with a weird glimpse in their eyes. Zayn blushed and bowed his head a little, his long hair falling in front of his face. He hated going furniture shopping with Liam. He would always manage to embarrass him in public.

"Can you stop?" The dark haired latter scowled quietly, giving him a certain look as soon as Liam reached him.

The Wolverhampton guy just grinned, wrapping an arm around Zayn's small waist and pulling him closer against him. "You know you love me." He hummed lowly and kissed his cheek, Zayn trying to hide his smile but he ended up failing.

"Sometimes you're a real pain in my ass." Zayn chuckled and grabbed his chin, kissing his lips gently.

"I mean, that's what my last name stands for. And I'm always a pain in your ass because of my big d–"

"Liam!" Zayn squeaked and playfully slapped his chest, glaring at him. "What did we say about talking about your you-know-what in public?"

"Oh come on." Liam rolled his eyes fondly, smirking a little. "You know you love it when I talk dirty to you." He mumbled huskily into his ear, teasingly biting at the lobe of his ear. Zayn bit down his bottom lip and tried not to make any type of sexual noise. Liam knew how much that turned him on and he hated it when he would tease him like that – especially when they were out in public.

"Oh!" Zayn jumped a little when Liam shouted, the younger latter running towards a room display he found not even a few feet away from them. The dark haired beauty furrowed his brows in confusion but followed him anyway, looking around the room.

"This is it. This is the one." Liam smiled big and turned to look at Zayn, the excitement written on his face. It was adorable.

He took another glance and smiled softly. He could imagine the nursery looking just like the display. "I love it." He said softly and nodded his head. "I really love it, Liam." His smile only grew wider.

"You can picture it being the room?"

"I can." Zayn gazed at him and kissed Liam's palm once he cupped his face. "I can't wait." He whispered softly before leaning up and pressing their lips together in a soft kiss. The brunet returned it, pulling his lover closer and wrapping his arms around his neck as the other guy wrapped them around his waist, gripping his coat a little.

"Mm, we need to write down the numbers so we can pick it up downstairs." Liam mumbled against Zayn's lips, not finding the strength to pull away. He found his husband's lips very intriguing since they were a soft pair.

Zayn chuckled softly and pushed his husband away gently before grabbing a sheet of paper and a small IKEA pencil. He let Liam read him the numbers of the furnitures and he wrote all of them down, making sure that he had everything written on it.

They soon went to the pick up after getting a few accessories at the store downstairs, using two carts for the shopping.

3 hours later
Wednesday evening
7.15 P.M.
Malik-Payne Penthouse
NYC, Manhattan, New York

Three hours and fifteen minutes have passed. For three hours and fifteen minutes they have been working on the nursery. Zayn was still working on one of the walls, having painted a bunch of childhood icons on them going from Sesame Street to Disney characters. There was music blasting from their music player, the dark haired latter softly mumbling along whilst focusing on the art. Liam was sitting on the floor and working on building the furniture, glancing at the manuel and trying to go after the instructions.

Watson, who Liam recently brought with from the UK as he moved most of his things into the penthouse, was laying on his doggy bed not even a few feet away from the brunet, curiously watching his owners work on the nursery together. Since he was getting a sibling hopefully soon, they had bought a huge bed for Watson to sleep in once they found a baby, hoping that he wouldn't get jealous of the child.

"So, my mum is going to sent some of my old toys from Bradford." Zayn spoke up with a hum, dipping the paintbrush into one of the cans. He was working on Cookie Monster.

"Oh really?" Liam smiled at that. "When is she sending it?"

"She probably sent it out this morning." Zayn responded and bit down his tongue as he focused on not painting over the pencil lines.

Liam hummed softly, looking up from the instructions to see how far zayn was. He examined the art, a proud grin lingering on his lips. "Wow...." He said, "it looks amazing."

"You think so?" Zayn asked and took a step back, staring at it. "It's not too much? I feel like it's too much." He worried, nervously eyeing the characters.

"Baby," Liam chuckled and got up, his legs wobbling a little from sitting pretzel-style on the floor for too long. He groaned a little at the ache and slowly headed towards him.

Zayn turned to look at him, snorting at the way he was walking. "You look like an elderly man." He snickered, earning a small glare from his husband.

"Shut up."

"It's funny."

"Yeah, well, anyway," Liam said and licked his lips, looking over at the wall, "it looks great. The baby won't pay much attention to it but as soon as he grows older, he'll love all of them." He wrapped his arms around Zayn's waist and kissed his neck slowly, smiling softly. "You're so talented."

"Baby, stop." Zayn giggles softly, his cheeks heating up. "I'm not that–"

"Shush." Liam shushed him and grabbed his jaw, turning his head so that they were looking at each other. "You're the most talented and the most beautiful person I have ever met in my life. Our baby is going to be blessed. He's going to have the greatest father ever. Trust me on that." He emphasized, grabbing his paint covered hand and kissing the back of it.

Zayn's eyes watered a little at his meaningful words and smiled fondly, watching him. "I hate you for always making me so emotional." He sniffled and leaned in once again, kissing his lips.

"You love me." The brunet whispered, kissing him back softly.

"Till the moon and back and till infinity and beyond, Jaan." Zayn whispered back, Liam smiling against his lover's lips.

****

Double update 🤪