t h i r t y - s i x || when we got back together

Past
January 12th, 2017
Thursday evening
7.23 P.M.
Gwen
Los Angeles, California

Zayn was having a small birthday dinner with some of his friends and family at a restaurant. There was no sign of Liam yet. He had secretly hoped his husband would show up at some point of the night, since they hadn't seen each other in months but he wasn't really fooling anyone. They were still on a break after Zayn had announced it. It's almost been a year and the dark haired latter had realized how much he missed Liam. Seeing him whenever they got a chance and waking up next to him every time he stayed over after being apart for so long.

It was his own fault for suggesting it. He didn't have the courage to text him to come home. He felt so unsure, even scared. So much had happened over the past ten months, with Cheryl and the pregnancy announcement. He just couldn't bring himself to text Liam to see if he was alright.

"Zayn?" The latter snapped back into reality when he heard his best friend's voice. He turned his head to look at Louis.

"Yeah?" He asked confused.

"You okay?" Louis questioned, narrowing his brows a little.

Zayn nodded his head, clearing his throat. "Yeah, I'm- I'm fine." He smiled a little, gazing around the place. It was crowded that night. A lot of people were spending their evening with their families or friends or even being on a date with someone. There was music playing in the background but it was mostly drowned by the loud conversations and laughs everyone was having.

"I'm gonna go out for a smoke." Zayn declared out of the blue. He patted Louis's shoulder and got up from the chair, grabbing his coat to slip it on. He walked away from the table without giving anyone a chance to say something, directly heading out of the restaurant.

Once he stepped outside, the cool evening breeze hit his skin, causing him to shiver a little. Compared to the thick atmosphere in the restaurant, with the stench of greasy food and sweat lingering in the air, it was relaxing being outside and having the opportunity to inhale the fresh air.

The twenty-four year old pulled out his package of Marlboro cigarettes, grabbing a stick from it and placing it between his lips. He got his lighter and lit up the tip, inhaling the smoke deeply into his throat. His back leaned against the wall of the building as he stared at the sky, admiring the sun setting on the horizon. The sky was tainted pink and orange, only a few clouds floating in the scene. Birds were flying, but due to the light and the angle they only seemed like black shadows swarming the city of L.A..

Zayn hummed softly, blowing out the smoke. He noticed someone approaching him from the corner of his eye. His gaze tore away from the beautiful scenery and moved to the person walking towards the restaurant, his breath getting caught in the back of his throat.

"Liam?" He questioned, completely taken back by seeing his husband.

"Hey Zee." The brunet greeted him with a warm smile, standing a few feet away from him once he got close enough.

To say Zayn was shocked would have to be an understatement. He was surprised seeing his lover appear out of nowhere. "What- what are you doing here?" He asked, still completely confused.

"You didn't think I forgot your birthday, did you?" Liam chuckled at that, tilting his head. "I came to see you."

Zayn bit his lip to hide the smile. "You- you did?" He cleared his throat, nervously throwing the cigarette onto the grounf and stomping on it. Even though he only puffed on it once.

"I did." The twenty-three year old watched him with amusement. "I thought a text was too tacky so I decided to come by and see how you were doing. Plus, Louis texted me where you'll be." He added, running his fingers through his hair.

"That's- wow, okay that was nice of him." Zayn blushed, sticking his hands into his jacket pockets.

"You look beautiful." Liam exclaimed, scratching at the back of his neck.

"Thanks." The older man smiled at the compliment. "Do you- would you like to come in and join us?" He offered, hoping that he would say yes.

"I'd love to." Liam nodded his head and walked up to him so they could go in together. Zayn was relieved at the response and continued to beam, slowly heading into the restaurant with him. It was kind of awkward – considering they hadn't seen or heard from each other for months.

Just as they were about to enter, Zayn could feel Liam gently grab his wrist and pull him back towards him. Zayn was a little surprised and he looked up at the brunet, realizing how close they suddenly were. His heart started beating fast in his chest and he could feel his stomach churn.

"Happy birthday." Liam whispered soothingly before leaning down and closing the gap between them.

Without any sign of hesitation, Zayn kissed him back, grabbibg his lover's face. At that moment both realized how much they really missed each other, instantly regretting ever going on that stupid break.

3 hours later
Thursday night
11.02 P.M.
Malik Mansion

Liam and Zayn stumbled into Mansion as soon as they got out of the car. Their lips were moving sloppily together and their tongues battled for dominance. Things were being knocked over, lips were being bitten, teeth were clashing and their clothes landed on the floor in a matter of seconds. It was obvious that the couple had missed each other a lot. After spending dinner together with everyone else, they all parted ways. Zayn and Liam made their way back to Zayn's place and during the drive, things became a little hot and heavy. They couldn't get enough of each other. Which was understandable because the couple hadn't talked to one another for a long time – and for both, it was like torture.

Liam picked Zayn up from the floor when they reached the middle of the hallway. The older latter wrapped his legs around his waist, locking his ankles securely by the small of his back while his hands gripped at Liam's curls, still kissing him passionately.

"God, I've missed you." The brunet muttered against his husband's lips, carrying him towards the large bedroom. Zayn just hummed in response, too focused on his lover's lips pressed against his again after so long.

"I've missed you too." Zayn mumbled, pulling away from the kiss when he needed some air. Liam dipped his head into his neck and started leaving a trail of kisses on his skin, making the birthday boy throw his head back to give him more access.

The two accidentally knocked a few things over on their way to Zayn's bedroom, but no one really cared. They ended up spending the night making sweet love, knowing damn well Zayn's neighbors were able to hear them. But it was worth it. It was the best birthday the twenty-four year old ever had.