Chapter Forty-One

Jennie's POV

"Dad." I quietly said as I stood in front of his desk. He looked up at me from the papers he was reading and took off his reading glasses.

"Sweetheart." He smiled.

His smile quickly disappeared when I didn't smile back at him. I just stood there with a frown on my face. He gestured for me to sit on the armchair in front of him and I sat on it.

"What's wrong?" He worriedly asked.

"What is she doing here? "

" Who? " His brows furrowed.

I let out an annoyed huff and rolled my eyes." You know who. "

" Lisa? "

" Yes. " I said.

" She said she wants to work here. " He said, shrugged.

" Daaaad! " I whined.

" What? It's free labor." He said, innocent.

I pouted at him. " Dad, why are you doing this to me! You know what's happening between us. "

His face changed into a serious expression. He took a deep sigh as he looked at me. " You don't need to notice her, you don't need to talk. I just feel like you still need her, sweetheart. "

" I-I don't. " I said in a harsh tone, my frown grew even bigger. Dad looked at me in the eyes and my eyes automatically dropped to my feet, afraid of what he might see in them.

"Jennie, sweetheart, you know it's better to be hurt than hardened." Dad said seriously." I will not allow anyone or any situation to harden you and make you bitter. I'm doing this for you, sweetheart. I know you don't understand what I am doing right now but I want you to know that I didn't do anything but to make you good. "

Lisa's POV

I was already up by four in the morning. My body was sore. Day two and I still wasn't used to sleeping on a hard work down bamboo bed. I forced myself up, sitting on the edge of the bed and stretching my aching limbs. I brushed my fingers through my sweat drenched hair and stood up. Well, at least it wasn't as hot as it was last night.

Bobby told me to wake up before the sun rise. I had to work from dawn to dusk. He gave me a chance to prove my love for Jennie and i wasn't going to let it go to waste. I will prove to her how much I love her daughter.

Oh, the things I do for you Jennie.

I need to get a pile of water for my shower from the water system. Just getting a bucket of water was already a lot of work. My stay here as Bobby's worker made me realize I took a lot of things for granted. My bed, air-conditioner, water... Jennie...

Those are the things I thought will never gone to me. I was used to being handed everything. Now all my need is needed to work hard of. In a way, the little things I did gave me a sense of accomplishment because I knew I worked hard for it. I would work myself to death if I had to, just to make Jennie back to me.

Yesterday, we had sex... if that's what she wanted to call it. It didn't feel like the way it felt everytime we made love. She was so detached, so impersonal, and cold. I had never felt sexually used by a woman before, usually it was the other way around or if I'd ever been used before I didn't care at all, they didn't mean anything to me. But it was Jennie and it hurts like hell. I was inside her but it felt we were still a world apart.

After filling up the bucket I carried it to the outdoor bathroom. It was just a small space with wood sticks standing on all four corners of it to hold the dried leaves that was covering it. I took a quick shower and wore the clothes that Bobby bought me. I didn't bring something when I got here just my car and myself.