Part 37

"Yoongi. I'm not sure you're right for my daughter."

Yoongi's mind went blank. He had no idea what to say to that. He could feel his heart pounding anxiously in his chest. He was afraid this would happen. But deep down he had expected it. He inhaled sharply - waiting for the soul crushing despair to wash over him but instead he felt anger bubbling in his stomach. His eyes flashed as he looked up at the man.

"With all due respect sir, that's not your decision to make."

The man's gaze darkened at his words.

"Excuse me?"

"Your daughter is an adult. She makes her own decisions and if she wants to be with me I'm not going to make her unhappy just because you don't approve," Yoongi said, his tail twitching angrily behind him against the couch.

"How dare you speak to me that way," the man said in a darkly quiet voice.

Yoongi flinched at his tone and swallowed. "I am sorry, I truly don't mean to be disrespectful. However. I love your daughter, and she loves me. I understand the reason you disapprove of our relationship - believe me I really do. I know I'm not good enough for her. She's the most special, amazing woman I have ever had the pleasure to meet. And she chose me - even though I'm the worst option." Yoongi paused, swallowing over the lump that was forming in his throat. "And I'm sorry - it may be selfish of me to keep her when she could do so much better, but - when someone like her chooses you - you can't push them away. You take what they give and you give back all you have."

The man was studying him as he spoke, his grey eyes taking in every detail. Yoongi wanted to shrink away and hide from his calculating stare, but he made himself be brave, taking a deep breath before he continued.

"So I'm sorry, I am. But I swear I will take care of her and I will work harder every day to be a little closer to deserving her."

The man leaned back and shifted his jaw, considering what Yoongi had said. He didn't say anything and Yoongi took it as a good sign, inwardly breathing a sigh of relief.

"So the two of you live together now?" The man said, his eyes finally leaving Yoongi to rove over the room itself.

"Y-yes sir."

"How many beds are there, Yoongi?"

Yoongi hesitated. He had already pushed against the man on one thing. He was very afraid to admit they slept in the same bed. He knew how the man would interpret that.

"W-well we-"

"Yoongi." The man cut in, his eyes flashing.

"There is one bed sir," he said, looking at his lap. The man stood and reached down, tugging Yoongi to his feet by the neck of his shirt.

"Listen here boy," he began, speaking lowly and close to Yoongi's face. The cat's ears were pressed back against his head, his eyes wide with fear.

"Dad! What the hell, let go!" She suddenly shouted, hurrying into the living room and wedging herself in between them, forcing her father to drop Yoongi's shirt. She glared at the man. "There is one bed dad, I'm twenty three years old."

"You're not married," the man growled. Yoongi felt as though he had been slapped. He stepped back from them, backing toward the wall. Nothing the man had said until them had really hurt him but this - this confirmed his every insecurity. What parent would want their daughter to be in a relationship that could never be legally confirmed? His concern about them sharing a bed was that they weren't married - and they couldn't get married even if they wanted to. Because Yoongi was a hybrid. He wasn't good for her, her father was right. He could never give her what she deserved.