Chapter 10: The Clockwork Creatures

ELEANORA'S POV
"Will," I whisper, pointing down at the entrance of the Institute.

Jem and Tessa are running in, a bunch of machine humans chasing them. Jem whirls around and locks the gates behind him and Tessa. The creatures crash against the gate.

"Jem. Tessa," Will breathes out.

I am already up on my feet, glad for the Shadowhunter gear I am wearing. We are on one of the towers, and I dash and jump off, to a lower one.

I glance down at Jem. A clockwork creature has his hand through a gap in the gate and is pulling at the iron chain that holds it close.

The gate won't hold for long. I jump down onto the ceiling of the Insitute, sliding down the smooth surface, dropping the long drop. I land on a balcony not far from the ground.

As I glance back down, I manage to see Jem leaning on Tessa heavily. No.

The gate bursts open.

"Jem!" I scream, panic filling me.

I drop to the ground, dashing to Jem and Tessa, my whip uncurling. Tessa is pounding on the doors of the Institute.

One of the metal creatures has reached Jem.

"Get away from him!" Tessa cries, just as I let out an enraged cry and throw myself onto it.

Both the creature and I roll on the steps. The creature's hand is coated in Jem's blood. I let out an animalistic growl.

My whip lashes out but the clockwork creature is faster, jumping up and dashing off.

I blink before moving to stand between Tessa and the rest of the creatures as Tessa swings Jem's cane at a clockwork man's head.

Another creature reaches its hands to me and I kick it back, my whip curling around it's body, frying it. I turn to see Tessa still fighting off a creature. I kick it away.

There are too many creatures. I take down one more, but another one grabs me by the shoulders and throws me aside.

"Tessa!" I shout.

I brandish my seraph blade. Then I charge at the automaton that threw me aside. I will not be treated like a toy.

I bring the seraph blade into its chest, slicing upward.

The doors of the Institute are thrown open. I don't focus on that as the Shadowhunters flood out.

I jump upward and bring my seraph blade down in an arc, slicing the head off one automaton.

Will somehow makes his way to me.

"Jem," I simply say to him.

There's only two creatures left suddenly, and they spring towards the gates.

I let out a growl and dash after them.

"Nora!" Will calls.

I ignore him. Charlotte and Henry appear at my side. Together, we chase after the clockwork creatures.

  But they are fast. They aren't humans. They don't tire out.

  "No!" I cry, looking around frantically for them. "Where are they?"

  "We've lost those blasted creatures!" Henry exclaimed.

  "We should spread out—" Charlotte starts, but I let out a frustrated noise and kick a wall. It cracks.

  "There's no use. They're long gone by now," I say. "We won't be able to catch up."

  "Magic?" Charlotte asked.