Chapter 17: The Sanctuary

ELEANORA'S POV
  When I finally hear that Mortmain and his clockwork creatures are gone, my eyes snap open. I look and see Jessamine standing slowly.

  "Jessie," I whisper, and she spins around to me.

  Somehow she is alive.

  "Jessie, I need a stele," I gasp out.

  Jessamine shakes her head, eyes wide in horror. "I don't have one."

  "Go," I manage to choke out. "Go and I'll catch up. Go help Tessa. They've sent Nate after them."

  Jessamine hesitates. Then she nods and dashes off. I groan and crawl towards Thomas. I check his pulse. He's still alive.

  "Go," He chokes out. "Go and save them. I'll die anyway."

  I choke back a sob. "I am so sorry, Thomas."

Thomas shakes his head. "Just... just make sure you don't break his heart."

I don't bother asking who's heart. "Thank you."

  Then I stand, my head cloudy, pain searing at the side of my head, at my shoulder, and at my side.

  I stumble towards the direction of the Sanctuary, my progress slow. I curse myself for going down the steps so slowly.

  I reach the Sanctuary just as the door is flung open for Mortmain. Nate is no where to be seen. But I can see Sophie, Tessa and Jessamine in the Sanctuary, all terrified.

  I pull out two seraph blades.

  I take in a deep breath. Jessamine, Sophie and Tessa are alright. They know I'm here but are good at acting as if I am not.

  "The two of you," Mortmain is saying, looking from Jessamine to Sophie, "get out."

  A blade in each hand of mine.

  "Gabriel. Michael," I whisper.

  The blades flare up. Mortmain spins around and sees me just as I plunge a blade each into the sockets of two automatons.

  They fall to the ground, writhing, and I slump against the wall beside me, grinning.

  "You seriously thought you knocked me out? I'm a woman, Mortmain," I let out a growl. "We may be weaker but we're smarter than you men."

  Mortmain's eyes flash with rage. "Get her."

  I hold up a hand. "Wait. This isn't their fight." I nod towards Jessie and Sophie. "Please. They have nothing you want. Let them leave."

  Mortmain clenches his fists. "Fine." He turns to an automaton. "Only if Miss Gray promises not to run. You too. And if you harm me, and I don't return to my automatons in fifteen minutes, your servant girl and the useless Shadowhunter will die."

  I look at Tessa.

  "I promise," Tessa says immediately. "Just please, let them go."

  Mortmain nods to his automatons. "You heard my instructions."

  Then Sophie and Jessie are dragged out of the room, leaving me with Mortmain and Tessa.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Will didn't know what to say to a dying man like Thomas. He'd known Thomas for the whole time he was in the London Institute.

  "She's still alive," Thomas said, not opening his eyes.

  "What?" Will was caught off guard.

  "The one you came back for. Her. Not Tessa," Thomas coughed. "E-Eleanora. She... she's going to protect them. Sophie. Take care of Sophie, Will. Sophie is—"