Chapter 70: Recovery From Tragedy

ELEANORA'S POV
I look over at Gabriel and Gideon, smirking.

"Somehow both of you utter morons managed to impress Cecily and Sophie, two of the strongest women I've ever met," I say, crossing my arms. "You should be glad for your good looks."

Gabriel grins at me. "And you fell in love with William Herondale, El. You shall not speak to us of the impossible."

I laugh, looking at Gideon, who looks so ecstatic. Charlotte is the new Consul. And Sophie is going to become a Shadowhunter. He's a bit nervous about it, but I have no doubts about Sophie becoming a Shadowhunter.

It's been a week. Just seven more days before Sophie goes through the ceremony.

Then I somber, thinking of Will. He's been so detached lately. And I have been at my old house, clearing out everything. I have been putting it off for a long time.

Gabriel sometimes follows me, but he doesn't like leaving Cecily's side. Will is acting like a ghost, never eating, never sleeping, always turning to talk to someone who isn't there.

I have been mourning. This whole time, I have been so unknowingly overwhelmed with the thought of getting revenge for my mother that I have not had any proper time to mourn.

And Caspian is gone, as if he has forgotten about me. I always find myself touching where the ring used to lie against my collarbone, now an empty spot.

I have also been locating the Geritch, telling them of my father's demise.

And lastly, I have been taking care of Taylor.

He is a Shadowhunter, and has came under the roof of the London Institute. I take care of him, treating him as if he were my younger Brother. For the first few days, he was reserved, but soon started opening to me.

He reminds me of Jem.

His name. Taylor Lovelace.

Apparently his Father is Jessie's father's Brother. Half Brother, at least. I see the resemblance in the blonde hair.

"I should go check on Taylor," I say.

"He's in the training room," Gideon says. "He's always there."

I nod, heading out of the room. I walk over to the Institute's training room, opening the door softly.

Inside I see the small figure of Taylor, not yet having gotten his first runes. Beside him is a broader figure, runes curling up the nape of his neck, black hair plastered there as well.

Will shows Taylor how to throw a knife, and the knife sails to the red center mark of the target.

Taylor laughs, and releases his knife. It hits right at the center.

"I greatly appreciate your help, Mr Herondale," Taylor says.

"Call me Will," I hear him say.

Taylor turns and sees me, leaning against the door frame.

"Ellie!" He exclaims, running to me.

I laugh as he throws himself at me, hugging me. I pat his head gently, such a pale blonde that it sometimes looks silver in the light.

Will turns and smiles at me. A true smile. One that I haven't seen for a week. I blink at him, then smile as he approaches us.

"Taylor is a fast learner," He says.

"Mr Heron-I mean Will-is a great teacher," Taylor grins. "He is the best Shadowhunter!"

I laugh. "And me?"

"You are right after," Taylor smiles.

I nod. "Fair enough. How about you go shower, Taylor. The violin in the music room hasn't been played all day."

Taylor nods, heading out of the room.

I look up at Will as the door shuts.

"You like training him," I say, watching his face. "It distracts you."

Will nods. "You know me well, Nora."

Will looks so tired, and he's much thinner.

I walk up thin, tracing my hand over his jawline, feeling his sharp bones. He shuts his eyes as I bring my hands to the sides of his face.

"Will, I need you to start eating. To start sleeping," I say. "I know how hard this is for you, but you can't do this to any of us. Charlotte is so worried, and Tessa is too. Cecily is concerned."

Will exhales slowly. "I cannot sleep without dreaming of Jem. I cannot eat knowing he is not on the table to laugh with me. I cannot train knowing there isn't anyone to laugh at my remarks."

I bring Will's head down, stepping up to kiss his forehead lightly.

"I know that I can never replace Jem, but I will rest with you. I will eat beside you and laugh with you. When you train, I will be there to tell you to shut your mouth," I let a small smile creep onto my lips. "And when you fight, you will have your Sister, me and the Lightwoods by your side."

Will brings a hand to the back of my neck. "Charlotte has requested me to go and slay demons with the Lightworms. Was that you or Tessa?"

I smile. "Tessa is strong, Will. Stronger than us. She is trying to help you. Let her help you."

Will brings his lips to mine in a slow intoxicating kiss. I lean into him, as if by default.

"I love you," Will says against my lips.

I run my hands through his black locks. "And I love you."

You will always be with us, James Carstairs.