Chapter 21: The Curse

Jem watched as Tessa and Ella conversed silently. Ella laughed and Tessa smiled. Jem looked away and saw Will looking at them too.

"What do you think they're talking about?" Will whispered.

"Feminine stuff," Jem said.

"We can hear every single word that you two are saying," Ella said, somewhat exasperatedly.

"Whoops," Will said without remorse in his voice.

Caspian walked into the dining hall, looking vicious.

Ella fell silent as she looked towards her brother. She brought a hand over the ring at her collarbone, hiding it. But not before Jem saw it flash a vibrant red.

"Ella," Caspian said roughly. "I need to speak to you."

Ella stood and walked toward Caspian, a slight heaviness in her steps. Jem frowned.

"Is something wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing that concerns you," Caspian replied curtly before taking Ella by the elbow and leading her outside.

"My my," Will said. "Family drama, it must be."

"I said that it's nothing!" Jem heard Ella shout.

Ella never shouted. Apart from battle, of course. She rarely raised her voice. Will looked toward the door, frowning.

Jem followed his gaze. They heard a loud thumping sound. Then a cry of pain. Ella's.

Will was on his feet before Jem could even stand.

"No, Will," Jem said. "Caspian would not hurt Ella."

"Then it wouldn't hurt to check," Will said stubbornly.

Before he could move to the door, however, the door flew open.

"James," Ella said, hand clasping the ring. "Jem, please help him."

Jem stood now, rushing to Ella.

"Ella, what's wrong?" He said, concerned.

"Help him," Ella pleaded.

Jem didn't need her to repeat the words again. He rushed out of the dining hall and to the corridor, where he saw Caspian passed out on the ground, convulsing.

"What's wrong?" Charlotte's voice floated from down the corridor.

"Charlotte!" Jem cried out.

Charlotte rushed to his side. She let out a short shriek.

~

Will hesitated slightly at the door before opening it. The first thing he noticed, of course, was Nora. She sat by her brother's bed, clutching at his hand tightly.

The next thing Will noticed was Tessa. She stood at Nora's right, hand on her shoulder, murmuring soothing words.

Will was frozen at the door, not sure whether to walk in or leave them. Tessa's presence seemed to scream at him that he should go out. But he was here for Nora, whether she knew it or not.

Tessa turned and saw him. She froze, mouth clamping shut.

Will silently shut the door behind him but made no move to walk towards the two.

Nora finally turned and saw him. Her face relaxed, and she managed a tight smile.

"Liam," She said. "What are you doing here?"