Chapter 75: Back To Origins

Two Weeks Later
Ella shot her new parabatai, Gabriel, a meaningful look. Ella had been so happy after the parabatai ceremony. It had hurt Will, she knew, to watch the ceremony, remembering his own with Jem. He couldn't bear staying the whole time, but met with them afterwards.

Charlotte had managed to arrange the ceremony to happen earlier for Ella and Gabriel.

"I can't believe we're really going home," Cecily said. Her hands were clasped in front of her, and she was bouncing up and down in her white kid boots. She was bundled into a red winter coat, the brightest thing in the dark crypt except the Portal itself, great and silver and shining against the far wall.

Will stood beside Nora, his shoulder brushing hers. He looked pale and nervous, and Tessa stood on his other side. Ella had insisted that Tessa come with them, and Will had agreed. "We're not going home, Cecy," he said. "Not to stay. We're visiting. I wish to introduce our parents to my fiancee"—and at that his pallor faded slightly, his lips curving into a smile—"that they might know the girl I am going to marry."

"Oh, pish tosh," said Cecily. "We can use the Portal to see them whenever we want! Charlotte is the Consul, so we cannot possibly get in trouble."

Charlotte groaned. "Cecily, this is a singular expedition. It is not a toy. You cannot simply use the Portal whenever you like, and this excursion must be kept a secret. None but we here can know you visited your parents, that I allowed you to break the Law!"

"I won't tell anyone!" Cecily protested. "And neither will Gabriel." She glanced at the boy at her side. "You won't, will you?"

"Why are we bringing him along, again?" Will inquired, of the world in general as well as his sister and Ella.

Cecily put her hands on her hips. "Why are you bringing Ella and Tessa?"

"Because Ella and I are going to be married, and Tessa is her Cousin," Will said, and Ella grinned up at him; she turned and shared a smile with Tessa. The way that Will's little sister could ruffle his feathers like no one else was very amusing to them.

"Well, Gabriel and I might well be married," Cecily said. "Someday."

Gabriel made a choking noise, and turned an alarming shade of purple. Ella laughed aloud at that, and Gabriel shot her a nasty look.

Will threw up his hands. "You can't be married, Cecily! You're only fifteen! When I get married, I'll be eighteen! An adult!"

Cecily did not look impressed. "We may have a long engagement," she said. "But I cannot see why you are counseling me to marry a man my parents have never met."

Will sputtered. "I am not counseling you to marry a man your parents have never met!"

"Then we are in agreement. Gabriel must meet Mam and Dad." Cecily turned to Henry. "Is the Portal ready?"

Tessa leaned close to Will. "I do love the way she manages you," she whispered. "It is quite entertaining to watch." Ella heard and laughed yet again.

"Wait until you meet my mother," Will said, and slipped his hand into Ella's. His fingers were cold; his heart was probably racing. Ella knew he had been up all night. Though he had rested with her, he couldn't get proper sleep. The idea of seeing his parents after so many years was as terrifying to him as it was joyful. She knew that admixture of hope and fear, infinitely worse than just one alone.

"The Portal is quite ready," said Henry. "And remember, in an hour I shall open it again, that you may return through it."

"And understand that this is just this once," Charlotte said anxiously. "Even if I am the Consul, I cannot allow you to visit your mundane family—"