Chapter 22: The Nightmare

ELEANORA'S POV
"It's really different," I say.

  "And you don't like it?" Jem asks.

  I shrug. "I didn't mean to imply that I didn't. I do, but it is so... strange. It was only my mother and I for three years. I was taught to not go near Shadowhunters and seeing where I am now is so different."

  "You will get used to it," Jem smiles. "We all did."

  We enter the dining hall and I see Jessamine and Tessa already seated.

  I take my place beside Tessa, giving her a small smile. Jem seats himself across from Tessa.

  "Where is Will?" He asks.

  Tessa shrugs, as if to say she doesn't know, whereas Jessamine scoffs.

  "Probably out drinking the night off," She says, rolling her eyes.

  "Actually," Will says, entering the room, "I'm right here."

  I look down at my hands, remembering how I abandoned him last night. A chill runs through me, and I feel a pulsing confusion.

  Caspian.

  I look towards the door as Will sits down across of me as Caspian walks in with Henry.

  I give him a small smile, remembering our last conversation.

  "Caspian," Jem says, smiling. "You're awake."

  "About time," Will mutters.

  Tessa smiles politely at him.

~

  I leave the Institute, hidden and alone. I head down the street, walking. Walking until I reach the Lightwood's house.

  I knock. Their doorman opens, and recognises me.

  "Here for Gabriel Lightwood?" He asks.

  I nod silently.

  I am let in and I bring myself to Gabriel's room. I knock lightly before entering. Gabriel is seated on his bed, head bent over a book. His hair is curled and his long legs outstretched.

  He looks up when I enter and smiles.

  "I wasn't expecting you," He says.

  "I had the need to get away," I say, collapsing next to him on the bed. "What are you reading?"

"Nothing," Gabriel says, shutting the book and putting it facedown on his bedside table.

  I lay my head on his shoulder. "Can I stay over?"

  Gabriel looks at me. "Of course. You look tired."

  I nod, and Gabriel laughs. "Go ahead and sleep. I'll join you later."

  Gabriel has a king-sized bed. It's not at all unusual for us to be sleeping together. The first time it was an accident. The second time it was awkward. It is unheard of for a lady to sleep on a men's bed when the man is neither engaged to her or her Husband.

  But we Shadowhunters are different.

  We're used to it now, this sleeping arrangement. I lay on the bed, closing my eyes, exhaustion wearing me down.

  "Jem? Jem, help," I whisper.

  But that wasn't Jem. That was a man. A man with greying hair. He is standing right in front of me now. He looked so familiar.

  I moan. "Help. Please, help me. My- my Mother. She's inside."

  "Shut your eyes, child. Shut your eyes."