Chapter 42: Confessions

Will waited as the cool breeze ruffled his hair. He watched as Nora hugged Magnus, then started down the steps.

She seemed so relaxed, so graceful. But there was a tired aura surrounding her. She walked up to him, and hooked her arm with his.

Will thought she'd never looked more beautiful than she did tonight, her hair blowing around her, a simple black dress on her.

"Let's go," She said, smiling at him.

  Will nodded, letting her lead him down the street. They carefully avoided mundanes, who couldn't see them. It'd be strange if they were to bump into air.

  The walk back to the Institute was a blur for Will. He didn't know how to feel. Anguished, angry, happy, free.

  When they had finally reached Will's door, Will looked up in slight shock.

  "What's wrong?" Nora asked.

  "Everything," Will laughed mirthlessly. "How- how do I start now? How do I tell them that I lived in hate for myself for the past five years for no reason? How—"

  Nora clamped her hand on his mouth, and when Will looked down at her, she was smiling sadly.

  "I'll help you. Jem will help you. Tessa will help you," she said.

  Will didn't know what had overcomed him, but he thought he deserved at least some love. And all he wanted was love now.

  He removed Nora's hand gently and pressed his lips to her's. She seemed to freeze for a moment as Will's hands went around her. Will realised with a stab of pain that she didn't want this. He pulled away, shaking his head.

  "I'm sorry," said Will, shaking his head, too ashamed to look at her. "That was foolish of me."

  Nora blinked at him, and Will pulled away, releasing her, starting to turn to go into his room.

  Then Nora took him by the collar, smiling. She pulled him down, crushing her lips to his. Will was too stunned to react. Then suddenly it felt as if every nerve in him was being set alight.

  He brought his hands to the back of her neck, and he could feel her. Her lips on his, her hands in his hair, her devouring him.

  Nora pulled away slightly, her hands moving from his hair down his neck and resting at his chest, fingers splayed.

  "I thought..." she said, shaking her head. "Tessa."

  Will shook his head. "No. I did love her. But not anymore."

  Nora lifts a hand and brushes his hair back from his forehead. "So who do you love?"

  "Well I do love myself," said Will, unable to help himself. "Who doesn't?"

  Nora laughed. "Not me."

  Will leaned down and brought his lips to her ear. "You love me?"

  Nora pulled away slightly and smirked up at him. She brought her lips near to Will's, leaving that small space between them, never closing it. It was killing Will.

  "I do," Nora said.

  Will tried to lean down and kiss her, but she shifted her head and his lips grazed against her cheek. It felt like agony.

"You haven't answered my question," Nora said.

"Yes I have," Will said. "I told you, I love myself."

Nora smiled innocently. "That's just a pity."

She tried to pull away but Will quickly snaked his arms around her waist, pulling her to him.