Chapter 11: Nathaniel Gray

Ella frowned at Thomas. "What's the harm in letting me in? I don't bite."

  "I know that, miss, it's just that—"

  "That?"

  Will came into view, an elegant eyebrow raised.

  Ella pointed to Will, and whispered, "now, that is a different story. He bites."

  Will grinned, rolling his eyes. "Well, open up the door, Thomas. Don't keep us waiting."

  "But Miss Gray said that she wanted some time alone with her Brother," Thomas protested.

  "Well tell her we're here," Ella said.

  Thomas relented, swinging the door to the drawing room open. "Miss Gray. Miss Gray, Master Will and Miss Ella are—"

  "Master Will is right here," Will said, ducking nimbly around Thomas.

  "So is Miss Ella," Ella followed, stalking into the room.

  She smirked in amusement as her eyes landed on Tessa's Brother—Nate.

  "Our wanderer, found at last," Will said. "Thomas tells me you were hiding behind the curtains?"

  Ella elbowed Will in the side, causing him to yelp and jump away.

  She grinned. "Thomas didn't say that. Don't worry. He just made an assumption. Though, based on your expression, he was right."

  Ella was aware that Tessa was watching Will's and her exchange with a frown.

  The night before, Will and her had explored the whole of London, walking and talking both.

  Ella remembered telling Will that she hated him. Could he not tell that she was lying? She had been so plainly obvious. How could she hate Will? She understood Will. She truly did. After all, he had to push everyone away. Ella got pushed away, and therefore didn't let many get close to her.

  "So you're a Shadowhunter," Nate said, observing Will but mainly Ella, his eyes lingering at all the wrong places. Ella didn't let her discomfort show. "De Quincey told me that you lot were monsters."

  "Was that before or after he tried to eat you?" Will inquired.

  Ella snickered.

  Tessa rose to her feet. "Will. Might I speak to you in the corridor for a moment please?"

  "Shall I follow?" Ella asked, determined of keeping to her deal. "What could be so important that you don't trust me to speak about?"

  Tessa rolled her eyes. "Very well. Come along, both of you."

  Will shot Nate a hostile look, and walked beside Ella as they exited the room, taking to standing in the corridor.

  Ella could practically feel the tension between Will and Tessa.

  "Well we really wouldn't want to keep poor innocent Nathaniel waiting," Ella said dryly. "What is so important?"

  Tessa narrowed her eyes at Ella, who simply raised an eyebrow.

  "I wanted to tell the both of you to be kind to my Brother," Tessa said. "He's been through an awful ordeal. He doesn't need to be interrogated like some sort of criminal."

  Will replied more quietly than Ella would have expected of him. "I understand that. But if he's hiding anything—"

  "Everyone hides things!" Tessa burst out, surprising Ella. "There are things I know he's ashamed of, but that doesn't mean they need to matter to you. It's not as if you tell everyone everything, do you?"